Camshaft

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
Sooooo........ If , by chance my 1984 has a a lifted cam installed by the PO & I have Eric's chip for a stock cam, would that cause this engine to run Rich? After all my improvements, I can still smell gas out of my straight pipe exhaust, both at cold idle & in closed loop ?
....Richie

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
The challenge is the quantification of smell. 13.5:1 AFR may be acceptable in many cases but it would smell really rich without a catalytic converter. A wide band sensor would be a great tool here to see where you are at. It can be tricky because an O2 sensor takes an average reading of 6 cylinders at one moment in time, and reports that.

A camshaft can result in unburned fuel making it out of the cylinders, but it would have to have lots of valve overlap to cause that.

Take an IR temp gun and read the header tubes at idle. It's tricky on a HA, but that may tell you something.

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
" 13.5:1 AFR may be acceptable in many cases but it would smell really rich without a catalytic converter."

I think we hit the Nail on the head. Huge difference after installing a Catalytic Converter. :giggle: