Camshaft sensor gear toast

Ok, next, if I can't use the stock timing chain tensioner on a double roller, then what do I use. Or is the sprocket bigger with no tensioner like the 350 engine.

I'd go back with a stock replacement 'crappy' timing set and keep a tentioner.

Yeah, I know they're made out of aluminum and plastic and they are complete and total shit....

...I also know your last one lasted over 30 years before it failed. :D

Pull the timing cover, follow my recipe for the oil flow mods (don't by a damn HV pump kit), drop the pan to clean the teeth out of it, and get a new Melling pickup tube from any of the fast food parts houses. While you are there get a can of The Right Stuff to use instead of an oil pan gasket, and don't forget to grab a couple of cans of brake parts cleaner.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, don't even think of 'upgrading' your cam and heads. Trust me on this one. Just don't even think about it.

I'd go back with a stock replacement 'crappy' timing set and keep a tentioner.

Yeah, I know they're made out of aluminum and plastic and they are complete and total shit....

...I also know your last one lasted over 30 years before it failed. :D

Pull the timing cover, follow my recipe for the oil flow mods (don't by a damn HV pump kit), drop the pan to clean the teeth out of it, and get a new Melling pickup tube from any of the fast food parts houses. While you are there get a can of The Right Stuff to use instead of an oil pan gasket, and don't forget to grab a couple of cans of brake parts cleaner.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, don't even think of 'upgrading' your cam and heads. Trust me on this one. Just don't even think about it.
So...., don't think of upgrading cam and heads until I get this sorted out?

So...., don't think of upgrading cam and heads until I get this sorted out?

Not unless you like spending money and having a dead car.

Once you break the factory seal, these engines like to be smart asses. Screwing with the factory worked hardened cam AND the factory head gasket seal is just asking for an ass whippin'.

The search function is littered with the bones of newbs to TRs that opened up that Pandoras Box.

Last edited:
Not unless you like spending money and having a dead car.

Once you break the factory seal, these engines like to be smart asses. Screwing with the factory worked hardened cam AND the factory head gasket seal is just asking for an ass whippin'.

The search function is littered with the bones of newbs to TRs that opened up that Pandoras Box.
I had a cracked exhaust valve before, so I took the heads off and replaced all the exhaust valves, intake valves and push rods.

I'm gonna wait till summer, but I'm gonna put new heads, cam and torque converter. Hopefully I get the set-up dialed in with minimal issues, but if not expect my frantic posts for help.

If you replaced the exhaust valves with aftermarkets, you needed to modify the guides for positive oil seals. If that didn't happen you might be burning oil from not having the step on the factory valve steams. Burning oil on a turbo engine is a big no no for detonation reasons.

If you replaced the exhaust valves with aftermarkets, you needed to modify the guides for positive oil seals. If that didn't happen you might be burning oil from not having the step on the factory valve steams. Burning oil on a turbo engine is a big no no for detonation reasons.
They were stock I got from Napa.

No step on NAPA valves that I have bought. You can cut all the guides for viton seals unless you are buying new heads.

These polymer gears are pretty neat. But they still need good alignment and plenty of oil
I have a bunch of those polymer gears here that all have sheared teeth on them, cool idea but don't work well!

Scott, when you rebuild cam sensors, what type of gear do you put on them? Thanks

I have a bunch of those polymer gears here that all have sheared teeth on them, cool idea but don't work well!
Wow that didn't happen to mine. I ran it with an "HV" oil pump too, up to 6000RPM on that motor. I was hoping it would cure the gear wear issue I was having (billet roller cam with no gear oiling). It lasted a lot longer but it still wore.

Scott, when you rebuild cam sensors, what type of gear do you put on them? Thanks
when we rebuild our cam sensors we usually re-use the gear that was on the one sent in unless it is worn too badly..