Camshaft sensor gear toast

NY_GN

Planning next secret evil upgrade
Heard some metal on metal grinding, but couldn't track it down.
Parked car, it wouldn't start, did diagnostic with tr6 and no signal from cam sensor. Pulled the cap, cranked it and the interrupter ring didn't move at all, cap is fine.

I got that the gear is done, but what are the causes? I installed the gear in 2010, no shim issues.

X2....
Billet roller cam? Those need a dedicated oil supply to the gears.
Chinese front cover? Alignment issues are fairly common.

I saw the oiling isssue brought up a few years back but have not seen anyone issues since then. Are there any recent updates to getting oil on the cam gear? Or what do the people with knowledge feel is the best way to oil the cam gear? Had my cam gear break in a low mile reuild a few years back . But the car has sat since then , so as I work to get it back together I would like to look into getting this issue resolved .

Did you pull the cam sensor and verify the gear is bad? Could be sheered roll pin or busted chain.

Just got it off it's flatbed chariot, I'll pull the cam sensor tomorrow. The cam and chain is stock for now. Since I gotta pull everything to inspect, I decided to upgrade cam and heads. Anyone wanna part with some ported champion heads?
I'll post what the root cause ends up being for future reference.

These polymer gears are pretty neat. But they still need good alignment and plenty of oil

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 220
My money is on the timing set if it's all stock. Bet the plastic gear teeth are all in the pan.

If the cam sensor stopped spinning then so did your oil pump....if it ran with no oil psi....bad juju

Turned out to be cam sensor drive, but when pulling the pulleys off found crack in harmonic balancer.

Need one ASAP, best brands for our cars and which ones have correct counterweight?

So the cam sensor gear lost all the teeth? Like to see a picture of that.

Where did the balancer crack? I have a stock one if you want it otherwise TA performance has a steel balancer with a bolt on counter weight.

Yeah what happened to the sensor drive?

Sounds like there might be some more to investigate and evaluate

No

Where did the balancer crack? I have a stock one if you want it otherwise TA performance has a steel balancer with a bolt on counter weight.
No, cam sensor gears were good, the $22 tab that hold reluctor wheel broke. Inner portion of the balancer cylinder (?) cracked.

Also found some of the large sprocket teeth mangled, so add new timing chain set to the list. Didn't find anything in the oil pan, gonna cut the oil filter open to check for debris.

Plastic teeth on the sprocket? Common failure for a stock timing set.

Check the oil pump pick up screen for bits of plastic, make sure it's clean or maybe just pick up a new one from autozone.

If you install a new double roller timing set, do not use the stock timing chain tensioner gizmo. The tensioner is only OK for a stock style chain, a double roller will shred the tensioner.

Does the TA balancer have a reluctor wheel for the sensor, didn't see it in the picture.