Cam

baby6

One Fast Buick
Any recommendations for a good cam on my vehicle? I think mine has a wiped lope or i have some lifters that are getting stuck because it likes to tick from the front of the motor when cold....the car is a 86 GN .020 over, fresh trans with a 9.5" 3000 LU converter, stock turbo, stock heads and stock DP. 60lb injectors, deutshworks fp and hotwire, all the basic stuff....turbotweak chip. I was looking at the 208/208 on gn1performance.com or maybe even the 208/214? I am looking for a cam that will be a monster when i get into boost but pretty calm when i am just driving around, this is a daily driver.

Also, I will be upgrading the turbo/dp/heads in the near future, so I would like a cam that the car can grow with.

Has the motor been rebuilt once allready I see you say its 20 over? Was the original cam reused or is something else in there now? Reason Im asking is if the cam has been changed to aftermarket with the rebuild there is good possibility the front cam bearing is damaged due to the groove on the aftermarket cams. I agree with blackgn here 206/206 is a good choice here.

If you had 204/214 206 is not a upgrade I dont have anymore but do a search for 214/224 its the next step above yours as far as speedpro grinds

I would agree if it were to be a 206 roller

I think im the originator of running the 204/214 cam in a turbo buick I have built many engines with 206 flat tappet and roller also

If you had 204/214 206 is not a upgrade I dont have anymore but do a search for 214/224 its the next step above yours as far as speedpro grinds

That seems awful aggressive for for one of these cars. You can go easily go 130mph+ on a 212/212. An exhaust biased cam seems to work well with the new cea wheels though like a 210/215. This is just information I've put together. I run 120mph on a 208/208 FT Erson with lazy lobes, but reliable.

When I left the Buick scene like 6 years ago there seemed to be a trend of people finally getting over being scared to cam the thing up

Iwas running 134 trap with the 204/214 10 years ago with a old school p_trim 70 turbo in my daily driver

For caparison tsm cars were barely breaking that mph back then

With alot of thanks to Eric before he started turbo tweak chips

we were able to run solid mid tens and a best of 10.22 with 206/206 roller many years back. spool up and drivability were good also.