Cam Suggestions for my setup

motor build 009.jpg
Running a 210 210 roller in mine and works great . I am not loaded with cash so I can totally relate with you on the 600 bucks extra thing BUT the reason I spent the money is think of it this way . If the new flat tappet cam whips out again that is another motor pull, tear down , new bearings and rings , probley will get the turbo seals so that is a turbo rebuild , new gaskets , etc . Will be way more than 600 bucks then so I sucked it up and went roller

View attachment 249116 Running a 210 210 roller in mine and works great . I am not loaded with cash so I can totally relate with you on the 600 bucks extra thing BUT the reason I spent the money is think of it this way . If the new flat tappet cam whips out again that is another motor pull, tear down , new bearings and rings , probley will get the turbo seals so that is a turbo rebuild , new gaskets , etc . Will be way more than 600 bucks then so I sucked it up and went roller

I don't think whipping a cam you'll have to pull the motor out but your right the labor alone and swaping the cam and new cam is the $600 right there. I guess im going to suck it up. Now I was told I do not need to change to roller rockers I can keep mine with out any issues is the right?

You don't have to use roller rockers....When my flat tappet wiped out the motor was pulled and tore down to the bare block...The rods were nearly frozen to the wrist pins of the pistons, bearings were a mess, etc....

Trust me , You WILL have to pull the motor out . All that ground up metal from that lobe is everywhere and the only way to get it out is remove , clean , and rebuild and YES it sucks lol

Trust me , You WILL have to pull the motor out . All that ground up metal from that lobe is everywhere and the only way to get it out is remove , clean , and rebuild and YES it sucks lol
You would think the 100 mile trip would have flushed all that metal into the filter:banghead:;)

Yes you can use the stock rockers, you need a pushrod length checker and check so you can order the correct length.

I don't think whipping a cam you'll have to pull the motor out but your right the labor alone and swaping the cam and new cam is the $600 right there. I guess im going to suck it up. Now I was told I do not need to change to roller rockers I can keep mine with out any issues is the right?
You will never get all the filings out, they get embedded in bearings etc. Went through it, ain't happening.

You can run a stock cam to low 11s easily and it's SMALL. If you want to flat tappet go with the 208. Some people have fine results with a ft, others not so much. If you trust your engine builder and luck go for it.

This is a new engine right now with the 212/212 cam but I have always ran flat tappet cams in all of my Cars. I have a few TR buddies that have 60,000+ of some hard miles running flat tappet comp cams. To each his own but I come from a lot of old school racers and engine builders and all these guys swear by flat tappet cams. They haven't steered me wrong yet. Just make sure you break it in correctly and they are plenty reliable.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going with the 212/212 roller kit from comp cams my machine shop has an account and I think he's going to give me the best deal

Everything springs push rods timing chain lifters and cam for 850 and that's on the Web with free shipping. I'm going to see if my machine shop can get it cheaper and if I can get the kit with out springs because I have the 100 lbs comp springs already. Unless the springs that come with the kit is different

Gonna need WAY more than 100 lbs for roller cam...

Everything springs push rods timing chain lifters and cam for 850 and that's on the Web with free shipping. I'm going to see if my machine shop can get it cheaper and if I can get the kit with out springs because I have the 100 lbs comp springs already. Unless the springs that come with the kit is different
Gonna need to measure for pushrods with stocker rockers, if they do not valvetrain could be noisey or too much preload. Gonna need atleast 135 on the seat maybe more if its an agressive grind.

Just get the whole kit with the matching springs I still use factory rockers with my 210/215 full throttle roller , I run the HD shafts for more strength with stock rockers . I bought my HD rocker shafts from Rjc racing . My motors been going strong 9.5 yrs