Cam sensors difference

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Looking at rebuilding a cam sensor or two. Have a couple of the pro kits .
Got to looking at both, same PN .
There seems to be completely different in the wear/thrust areas top and bottom.
I wasn't aware of GM having different designs? Is one better than the other in design?
The shiny one looks like stock unit i remember

Attachments

• 20200511_145719.jpg
    20200511_145719.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 20200511_145607.jpg
    20200511_145607.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200511_145547.jpg
    20200511_145547.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 200
are you saying the kits are different ??...the cam sensors look identical...the more used looks to already have the up grade screw on the reluctor ring..

I thought that might happen, the kits are the same but the two cam sensors are not close to being the same top and bottom.
The odd one does have an allen head screw put in with sealer it appears.
Did someones rebuild look like this? The shiny one looks to be NOS, no cap for it.

I thought that might happen, the kits are the same but the two cam sensors are not close to being the same top and bottom.
The odd one does have an allen head screw put in with sealer it appears.
Did someones rebuild look like this? The shiny one looks to be NOS, no cap for it.
The one with the allen cap screw is not stock. Someone already put a kit in that cam sensor. Don't know who's kit.

Hi Austin, Magnavox was the only company to make the cam sensors. you have a gen 1 (made in the USA) and a gen 2 (made in Mexico) drive unit.

the gen 2 mexico unit with the phillips screw does not look to have touched yet.

the gen 1 drive doesn't look to have the correct washers, top end or bottom end (and can't see wave washer). also gen 1 unit has what appears to be RJC's repair kit installed. Cam Sensor Repair Kit

Kirbans sells the RJC kit as well - part # 7235.
1985 1986 1987 Buick Grand National T Type Turbo GNX 3.8L CAM SENSOR REPAIR KIT

the above repair kits are to fix a broken tab used to index the interrupter ring.

The RJC repair kit is not to be confused with the complete rebuild kit that @turbo nasty produces.

as noted by Remove before Flight in other threads, TA Performance has the gear: Product ID: TA_1402A

Gen 1 units were produced in the USA thru at least 1998 and probably into the early 2000s. the gen 1 date code of 4297 could be 1984 or 1994, the 297th day. the gen 2 unit date code of 3171 is 2003, the 171st day. unit specs were the same, only difference being the added ink of assembled in Mexico. don't know if differences seen in that gen 1 unit is the result of someone working on previously to install that RJC repair kit and do whatever else...

Last edited:
Hi Austin, Magnavox was the only company to make the cam sensors. you have a gen 1 (made in the USA) and a gen 2 (made in Mexico) drive unit.

the gen 2 mexico unit with the phillips screw does not look to have touched yet.

the gen 1 drive doesn't look to have the correct washers, top end or bottom end (and can't see wave washer). also gen 1 unit has what appears to be RJC's repair kit installed. Cam Sensor Repair Kit

the above repair kits are to fix a broken tab used to index the interrupter ring.

The RJC repair kit is not to be confused with the complete rebuild kit that @turbo nasty produces.

as noted by Remove before Flight in other threads, TA Performance has the gear: Product ID: TA_1402A

Gen 1 units were produced in the USA thru at least 1998 and probably into the early 2000s. the gen 1 date code of 4297 could be 1984 or 1994, the 297th day. the gen 2 unit date code of 3171 is 2003, the 171st day. unit specs were the same, only difference being the added ink of assembled in Mexico. don't know if differences seen in that gen 1 unit is the result of someone working on previously to install that RJC repair kit and do whatever else...

It’s scary how much you know about these cars and their parts.

Thank you so much for being scary awesome and willing to share your knowledge!

Your so correct about Anthony and his knowledge of these cars. Being around these cars since 1992 i sometimes think i know a little about them, doesn't feel that way when Anthony gets involved. I have learned when Anthony speaks about these cars you usually get a great answer.
Thanks for the cam sensor input. I suspected the "gen1" was modified but didn't know there were other rebuild kits. They both seem tight and not rebuild candidates. I have since found out i mistakenly pick out the two best ones from my stash. I found the two that were to be rehabbed big difference.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but thank you for explaining how the two cam sensors are different. I learn something new about these cars everyday thanks to guys like you and TB.com.

Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words...there are plenty of folks willing to share their thoughts or help out towards finding a solution. I just expanded upon the wisdom of mikestertwo.

for completeness, wanted to add the following (for everyone else not searching thru older threads OR considering this cam sensor work themselves):

here is Jason's (turbo nasty) thread introducing the repair kits...scroll through the entire thread as he provides tips and instructions in between folks ordering kits...
https://turbobuick.com/threads/new-...it-from-richard-clark-and-turbo-nasty.457803/

he also uploaded some tips on youtube via several videos...
lc2kid

also on youtube, found a turbobuick enthusiast - he's a member of the forum (and showed some good initiative and willingness to learn) - who uploaded a detailed video on the cam sensor rebuild process. while he forgot to show a few things on the first take it's an overall step by step informative guide. not everyone has all the tools ( a drift punch is key) or confidence or ability to do this on their own, so if in doubt just send it to Jason (or Steve V or Bison).

And Steve V has some notes as well...