Cam Sensor - Repair/Replacement

SteveZ82

I've been doing some searching on this sitee to find a cam sensor for my 86 GN. Sucker is noisy when cold and seems like it's a pretty common problem. Yes, it's the cam sensor. Stethoscope proved that. Anywhoo, I've found the sensor at Highway Stars but it's $400! Since the world is on fire right now, and I need to save money for ammo against the zombie apocalypse, I'm guessing the repair kit would be enough to quiet this thing down? Anybody have experience with this? What are the issues to just leaving it for now? Car runs great, just noisy CS when cold. Goes away once warm.

if you notice highwaystars ..doesnt have in stock ...it says wishlist IIRC... turbo nasty rebuilds/ services them ...as well as bison..new ones seem to be hard to find and pricey to say the least ... they have been on ebay for 500 plus :eek:

if you notice highwaystars ..doesnt have in stock ...it says wishlist IIRC... turbo nasty rebuilds/ services them ...as well as bison..new ones seem to be hard to find and pricey to say the least ... they have been on ebay for 500 plus :eek:
I did not notice that. Thanks. I think I'll get the rebuild kit for now. I don't drive it much. I have access to a good garage and talented mechanic to help out too so we can probably bang it out in a short time.

Jason, you beat me to it....

for completeness here is Jason's thread introducing the repair kits...scroll through the entire thread as he provides tips and instructions in between folks ordering kits...
https://turbobuick.com/threads/new-...it-from-richard-clark-and-turbo-nasty.457803/

AND he put some tips on youtube (also noted in thread link above) via several videos...
https://www.youtube.com/user/lc2kid

as noted by Remove before Flight, TA Performance has the gear: Product ID: TA_1402A

also on youtube, found a turbobuick enthusiast uploaded a detailed video on the process. he forgot a few things in the video like assembly lube and there is a cringe moment using a screwdriver instead of a drift punch to remove the bushings but overall is a step by step informative guide. if you don't have the tools or confidence or ability to do this on your own, just send it to Jason (or Steve V or Bison).

And Steve V has some notes as well...

No one stocks new or even reman cam sensors any more. I just went through this myself. Either send yours to someone and have it rebuilt or find an NOS one.... I managed to find an NOS Delco sensor and it cost me dearly. I had to ship to it from Canada to Tx to get it.