Cam Bearings! Should I replace?

Antbankstwo3

This is my first time diagnosing a set cam bearings in the block. So I'm not 100% sure what would be considered bad or replaceable? I've never had to replace them so I wanted some advice before I started to reassemble. Most of them show very light wear with the front showing the most. I only have a few photos because I forgot to snap a few more shots. The old cam looked really good. I did buy a new cam to install as well as an upgrade. The engine supposedly has 98k miles. Which overall the engine does look pretty clean. No metal shavings any where and the oil didnt looked to be changed out recently.

I will be daily driving this car, but my daily commute is less than one mile each way and I typically stay around a 5-10 mile radius outside of work - store, errands etc...

Any advice would be appreciated as I will start reassembly soon! Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_8255.jpg
    IMG_8255.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_8254.jpg
    IMG_8254.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8253.jpg
    IMG_8253.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_8252.jpg
    IMG_8252.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
One with copper showing for sure. In the big picture just get new ones and be done.

Thank you for reply! Yeah, I think I will go ahead and replace. I just talked to a local engine rebuilder and he said he would only charge $20 for labor to install (not including parts). So $20 now vs a potential headache with the bearings later is worth money and time to get it done.

Post this over at LS1tech, my understanding is that the cam bearings are line honed by the factory, my engine had 60k, and looked similar.

Post this over at LS1tech, my understanding is that the cam bearings are line honed by the factory, my engine had 60k, and looked similar.

I ended up taking the block into the machine shop to get it professionally looked at and get new bearings installed. Ended up finding a very reputable guy. He didn't think they needed to be line honed. So hopefully I'll be good. Installation went well.

Thank u for the advice and response!