Cal's StageII alky log

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
This was done last week at OSW for some testing..

This was the shot of the log pre-alky. Intake temps lower 100's.. on the 882 drag radial pass. I clipped the log at 157MPH to show injector duty cycle, intake air temp, rpm, and boost

Actually I believe Otto was driving when this was captured.. getting his license. Ran 8.82 on drag radials :wink:

Yeow :biggrin:

Attachments

• 882dr.jpg
    882dr.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 463
Here's the alky run.. look at intake air temp lower, injector duty cycle lower, same air fuel, same boost.. this run was done late in the day.. track had gone down hill for prep.. you can see getting in and out of the pedal. It ran same MPH but like a 9.1.

Outside air temps were like 65 that day, runs done on C16

Cal was driving this time :)

7,000 rpms, 30 PSI boost, :eek:

:biggrin:

Attachments

• Cal alky1.jpg
    Cal alky1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 452
Great information!!!
I need to talk to Cal about converters.

The oil pressure when logged varies up and down due to the pump pulsing.. I tried showing the graph to depict same MPH, same rpm, same boost, same day.. for temp readings. The oil pressure will vary from 50-75

When you have a mechanical guage the oil in the line dampens the needle. When you place the transducer rite at the source... whalla. And who is to know if the sensor is properly calibrated for true readings as the computer sees a 0-5v input.

Neat to log all this stuff... but its just data for evaluating different aspects..

Attachments

• oil log.jpg
    oil log.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 359
I think your map (psia) is mislabeled - should be map (psig). Or else the map (kPa) and fuel pressue are wacky :).

ijames said:
I think your map (psia) is mislabeled - should be map (psig). Or else the map (kPa) and fuel pressue are wacky :).

Not my label.. go tell Cal :p

:biggrin:

ijames said:

I noticed this on my XFI also. For some reason the PSIA reading is actually PSIG......

John Wilde said:
Great information!!!
I need to talk to Cal about converters.

I'm not sure whats with the 6050rpm DS Speed vs 7100 Eng. Rpms :confused:

If I remember correctly Cals running 3.42 gears & 28" tires?
If true, his 157 or 158 mph at 7100 would represent approx. 9% convertor slip.

The log of 7100rpm eng vs 6050rpm Ds doesn't seem to Jive percentage wise :confused:
The other log shows 6800 eng vs 5500 DS makes it even more confusing.

Maybe my calculator is broken :frown:

Joe

Joe Lubrant said:
I'm not sure whats with the 6050rpm DS Speed vs 7100 Eng. Rpms :confused:

If I remember correctly Cals running 3.42 gears & 28" tires?
If true, his 157 or 158 mph at 7100 would represent approx. 9% convertor slip.

The log of 7100rpm eng vs 6050rpm Ds doesn't seem to Jive percentage wise :confused:

Maybe my calculator is broken :frown:

Joe

Joe,

Last time I checked Cal ran the bigger radials that are closer to 30inches.
You should have Dan spec him a Neal Chance. I bet he would pick up 3 to 5MPH.

John Wilde said:
Joe,

Last time I checked Cal ran the bigger radials that are closer to 30inches.
You should have Dan spec him a Neal Chance. I bet he would pick up 3 to 5MPH.

OK.......even so 1 log shows 1050 rpm difference & other is 1300rpm diference.
Radials don't grow, like Slick etc....just trying to figure why the spread between the 2 logs on % slippage indicated.

No doubt Dan@DLS will hook him up with right combo. :)

Joe

Joe Lubrant said:
OK.......even so 1 log shows 1050 rpm difference & other is 1300rpm diference.
Radials don't grow, like Slick etc....just trying to figure why the spread between the 2 logs on % slippage indicated.

No doubt Dan@DLS will hook him up with right combo. :)

Joe

Joe,

This converter is slipping between 13 and 17%.
We get about 5 to 6% with our Neal Chance.
I bet Dan could do even better
In theory just getting the converter down to 6% would get him close to a double digit MPH Gain.

Ohh ohh.. time to disect Cal's stuff..

Imagine that.. 8.7's on drag radials with a 76 turbo.. with all that slipping :biggrin: ..

Possible the converter started coupling why the slip was greater on the 6800 vs 5500.. maybe Cal needs a longer track :biggrin: to get the slip down..

What makes a converter slip? The TQ or HP.. combination there off :confused: maybe the TQ was higher at 6800 RPM's.. creating the additional slip?

Razor said:
Ohh ohh.. time to disect Cal's stuff..

Imagine that.. 8.7's on drag radials with a 76 turbo.. with all that slipping :biggrin: ..

Possible the converter started coupling why the slip was greater on the 6800 vs 5500.. maybe Cal needs a longer track :biggrin: to get the slip down..

What makes a converter slip? The TQ or HP.. combination there off :confused: maybe the TQ was higher at 6800 RPM's.. creating the additional slip?

I am no conveter expert, even though I play one on TV. ;)
I am certainly not knocking Cal or his abilities, in fact I am super impressed how the car is running despite the slippage.
The thought of Cal with a tighter converter and an 88MM Turbo must be scary to some.

BTW it seems that Cal is running the 28inch tall tires.
If that is the case he is not that far off .
A tight converter could get him more than 160MPH at the same boost level, but would it come up on a pro tree? I think Cal can do it!!! :D

John Wilde said:
BTW it seems that Cal is running the 28inch tall tires.
If that is the case he is not that far off .
A tight converter could get him more than 160MPH at the same boost level, but would it come up on a pro tree? I think Cal can do it!!! :D

Thats what I was thinking! The 7100rpm, 3.42 , 157 & approx 9% is about right with 28's.

My original post related to the differences! 1050 to 1300 rpm seemed slighlty strange?, that was all I was pointing out!!

Not sure why Razor felt I was trying to pick the car apart :confused:
Cal & I have always shared information regarding our set-ups, convertors included.

I fully understand how torq. & hp will affect slippage. Also how Alky will enhance performance.
In addition I also understand that all 76mm or 88mm turbo's are not equal. :D

A GT4276, GT4576 etc. are HP rated approx. the same as Older 88mm T4, so the power exhibited is what would be expected of a very well prepared car.

Cals accomplishment was outstanding, nothing posted was intended to be little that. It was just an observation!..... Nothing More, Nothing Less :smile: