CA smog advice

oh yes, name calling.... LOL that's shows how much older and more mature you are. I work at a CA. smog station so i'm well aware of the rules and regulations. You don't even live in this state so you really have nothing to bring here except your self serving opinion. Try to understand why the laws are in place and stop being so TX righteous. No one is attacking your state so lighten up. Your opinion of how the system 'should' work is null. I'd love it as much as the next guy to be a simpler system, and one that made sense to the commoner, but that's just not the reality.

I'm on your side, friend, regarding smog. Take a step back and realize that your last post was opinionated, self serving and biased. How serious should others take you when you live in California and work in a "smog" station? Do you work there for a check or do you actually care and want to help make a difference?

If my typed words give you the impression I am attacking you nothing could be further from the truth, I am just honest.

All the Best. ;)

[QUOTE="texasmr2, post: 3695016, member: 51539

Go hug a tree Mr. Prius.[/QUOTE]

Oh i'm sorry, how should i have interpreted this remark ? Or did you forget 'in your wise 53 years of age and wisdom that you said it.

and how was my post opinionated, self serving and biased ? You are delusional.

Your argument has no logic. If the car passes the sniff test and the evap test it shouldn't matter what parts are on the car to get it done. Here in DE obd1 has to pass a 2 speed sniff test and evap test. They dont give a damn what MAF sensor I have or FPR. They have absolutley no bearing on the emissions emmited.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Kalifornia cares. The visual caries as much weight as the sniffer.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Kalifornia cares. The visual caries as much weight as the sniffer.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]
I know. My point is its ridiculous. All that should matter is safety and emissions emmited if it were truley about "the enviroment". Doesnt really matter I dont live there and won't ever. Oh, and my opinion doesnt matter and Im aware of that too :)

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Fellas, never fear, I'm on my way...Tori, I'm gonna need those keys. Your TR is being officially CONFISCATED, bud!

Fellas, never fear, I'm on my way...Tori, I'm gonna need those keys. Your TR is being officially CONFISCATED, bud!

Haha!

I hope Tori realizes that we are just having fun and are only having a laugh.

Peace Tori and all the best,
Gregg

With all this talk about emissions, I woke up this morning, and found this in my GN

fuck.

ea6689ebc1c1a58326fbe7532c6edfa7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too smart talking about this on a public forum If the gestapo find out what it is I think your referring to could cost someone their license & a felony conviction conversations like this should be private.

I'm not sure they have the reading comprehension to figure out what he's saying.

I for one appreciate being able to go outside and enjoy fresh air. You couldn't do that before these laws were enacted back in the 70's.

The improvement was from the design improvements required of manufacturers. Every study that has ever been done has concluded that Smogcheck is not effective. This includes all of the studies commissioned by CARB itself. It's not effective mainly because the cutpoints allow vehicles that aren't properly tuned to pass with flying colors.

I was born in Los Angeles, by the way. I've flown in and out of that brown soup, and even lived in it for a while.

Last edited:
I'm not sure they have the reading comprehension to figure out what he's saying.

No one cares, and you're taking it too seriously. Also, don't insult everyone by saying we lack reading comprehension ... the quote you made this statement for was NOT for the op, but for dankgn's comment about the dream he had. If anyone is lacking comprehension about the conversation here it's you. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one cares, and you're taking it too seriously. Also, don't insult everyone by saying we lack reading comprehension ... the quote you made this statement for was NOT for the op, but for dankgn's comment about the dream he had. If anyone is lacking comprehension about the conversation here it's you. [emoji52]

Oooo, touchy touchy! :D

I'd already noticed this thread was turning into a ridiculous flame war ....

i just had this conversation regarding lsx swaps on Gbody forum and got my comments deleted and locked after i argued with a member on how the erod ls3 kit is legal BUT still could be modded to accept CARB approved LS3 parts!.... if we don't work the system then what? NOW my GN passed with flying colors and is modded here in CO! It seems to be a touchy issue BUT why not issue us tags that limit the amount we drive for example 2k miles a year and be smog exempt? I don't drive any of my g bodies for more then that at all..... car shows and some racetrack and maybe a drive to work.... the electric car guys fail to recognize that the power to charge them come from a coal powered plant that pollutes way more then a 1 hour 454 powered chevelle!

It seems to be a touchy issue BUT why not issue us tags that limit the amount we drive for example 2k miles a year and be smog exempt?

CA will never relax the 1976 exemption. In fact, every year someone proposes to even get rid of that and make pre-1976 cars pass a sort of emissions testing. It's harder and harder to pass the test because they decrease the acceptable emissions every couple of years, too. It won't get any easier, not in CA.

NOW my GN passed with flying colors and is modded here in CO!

Comparing CA to any other state when it comes to emissions is ridiculous. CARB is its own animal entirely. Your standards in CO are very likely far more lax than what we have to live up to here in CA. The visual requirements alone would fail 90% of the Turbo Buicks in the country. I bought a super clean, all-stock 86 with a stock cat that failed for visual because the tech couldn't find a CARB number on the stock cat. When I lived in WA, I was able to pass the final emissions test on my '87 before the 25 year cutoff with no cat and non-functioning EGR. That's flat-out impossible in CA. Even if it passed a visual somehow, it would have failed on acceptable emissions, guaranteed.

For everyone talking about obsolete parts, google what a BAR referee can do. If you literally cannot find an acceptable CARB approved part for an old vehicle to replace one that has broken, you talk to a ref and get them to approve a non-approved replacement. It costs no money, only time. CA has a program in place specifically for this exact situation. The state does not expect you to be able to find every single little part for all eternity.

Last edited:
OP, most of that is fine. The downpipe will probably be an issue because it's not CARB approved. You can either swap to a stock one or try to disguise it. Hide the translator.

kjizzle yeah we are experiencing the same but just not as tough as you guys! they did lower the emission standards here a couple years ago... It's all a money game period! So we just gotta play/push as far they allow... it sucks And yeah the referee approved my ls swap and complimented on how thorough it was.