CA smog advice

moyersgn

86GN needs to be smoged next year. Just wanting to see want needs to be removed before getting tested. Here are the following mods:
60lb inj, 5.7 tt chip, 304 walbro pump w/hotwire, adj fpr, 3inch atr exhaust, 3inch rjc dp w/testpipe, lt1 maf w/translator

I had mine done last week for $220 no dropping of my car ether just paper work That's what happend in my crazy dream . I also had the fastest Buick GN in the world .lol

Last edited:
Just had mine done last week for $220 no dropping of my car ether just paper work
Not too smart talking about this on a public forum If the gestapo find out what it is I think your referring to could cost someone their license & a felony conviction conversations like this should be private.

Just had mine done last week for $220 no dropping of my car ether just paper work
This is fictitious right? You were telling me about having some crazy dream the other day...

I think dank is sleep texting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll take a stab at this.

First problem is visual. You might have a complete dumbass tech that doesn't recognize anything you have is aftermarket, a complete dumbass that thinks everything, even stock stuff, is aftermarket, or you could have a competent tech that can spot the "good" from the "bad". If you get the bad dumbass, leave, go to another shop, don't bother reasoning with the person. If you find a competent place, the visual problems you'll have are the adjustable fpr, the downpipe, possibly the maf, and, oh yeah, the lack of a cat.

When it comes to the sniffer, the cat is going to be the biggest issue by far. The next one will be the chip, what you have disables egr. If you have to go back to the stock maf, unfortunately that might actually hurt your numbers, but what are you going to do except find another shop that doesn't care. The rest of the stuff is fine minus the visual problems mentioned above.

Last edited:
You can get away with the 3" DP if it's black, and not all aftermarket looking. You'll need the CAT just to get the required emissions. FP shouldn't be an issue, nor the hotwire, the FPR yes if it looks aftermarket and the tech cares about it. Ravage's advise is correct too.

You will probably get away with the MAF since they look stock and are found on more common, newer cars that the techs are familiar with. Just hide the Translator.

I cant believe you guys have to put up with crap like that if it passes the emissions testing it shouldnt matter what MAF sensor or FPR. What happens when there are no longer any stock MAFs available etc? I am so glad I dont live in CA. IMOP it should be required to pass a safety inspection, the emissions test, evap test, and you're good who cares what parts are on it if it is in compliance.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I cant believe you guys have to put up with crap like that if it passes the emissions testing it shouldnt matter what MAF sensor or FPR. What happens when there are no longer any stock MAFs available etc? I am so glad I dont live in CA. IMOP it should be required to pass a safety inspection, the emissions test, evap test, and you're good who cares what parts are on it if it is in compliance.

You're preaching to the choir my friend.......

Because libs

9663cc1a71ff85f4658bc301ae50572c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the problem is the OP lives in a state that would like to regulate every aspect of said residents but they have no issue with building million dollar homes on fault lines or cliff's.

The vehicle is a classic and has surpassed the 25yr mark and should be exempt from emissions testing and only require registration.

Last edited:
I'll just go ahead and kick this bee-hive....

I do realize most that complain about this subject don't live here which makes me LOL.

These smog rules exist still because citizens like us have cars that pollute. It's the older cars that by now are not running as clean as they once did, and because people are modifying them and making them pollute even more. How many of us have removed the CAT? EXACTLY. I for one appreciate being able to go outside and enjoy fresh air. You couldn't do that before these laws were enacted back in the 70's. It's a pain in the ass yes, but be adult about it for Christ sake. Don't hate the game. Hate the playa. Each one of us is guilty of perpetuating the very system we hate. Stop bitching about it and just deal with it. You knew going in smog was a requirement and what the laws were.

I do realize most that complain about this subject don't live here which makes me LOL.

These smog rules exist still because citizens like us have cars that pollute. It's the older cars that by now are not running as clean as they once did, and because people are modifying them and making them pollute even more. How many of us have removed the CAT? EXACTLY. I for one appreciate being able to go outside and enjoy fresh air. You couldn't do that before these laws were enacted back in the 70's. It's a pain in the ass yes, but be adult about it for Christ sake. Don't hate the game. Hate the playa. Each one of us is guilty of perpetuating the very system we hate. Stop bitching about it and just deal with it. You knew going in smog was a requirement and what the laws were.

It is California and is regarding classic vehicles that have reached or surpassed the USA's 25yr mark. Telling other adults, who are most likely older than you, to act like an adult is total BS! Stop speaking for others and acting all self knowing and righteous.

Go hug a tree Mr. Prius.

It is California and is regarding classic vehicles that have reached or surpassed the USA's 25yr mark. Telling other adults, who are most likely older than you, to act like an adult is total BS! Stop speaking for others and acting all self knowing and righteous.

Go hug a tree Mr. Prius.

Exactly!!!!!

I lived there for over 12 years and was never happier than the time I was able to leave!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Just had my TTA done last month with a translator and LS! mad on it. it does have the factory air intake on it 60b injectors and at turbotweak chip for the injectors. looked at the documentation that came with car and saw cat was changed a few years ago so all i did was order a tt chip for the 60's and make sure fuel pressure was good (adjustable regulator) and it passed fine. the dichs were fascinated by the pontiac with the GN motor i was shocked they knew what it was but they didn't notice the for or the breather on the valve cover. i think if the care is in good tune and you can get passed the visual you should be ok.

Your argument has no logic. If the car passes the sniff test and the evap test it shouldn't matter what parts are on the car to get it done. Here in DE obd1 has to pass a 2 speed sniff test and evap test. They dont give a damn what MAF sensor I have or FPR. They have absolutley no bearing on the emissions emmited.

Full circle. I believe we are all on the same page yet some are ignorant ie "less informed" and if the ignorance is not pointed out and corrected the ignorance will continue to cloud a person from reality. If one wants to get all Calified and get all eco and drive a Prius they still hide their head's in the sand of the true culprits.

My future GN will pollute our "breathing air" as I laugh watching your headlight's in my mirror.

In support of Tori... I hear and understand his concern which holds relevance and is also a concern worldwide. I would be "past my due date" if I do not take other people's opinions to heart or try to view things from their eye's/view.

It only took 53yrs too gain such perspective, who would have figured? haha :p

PS, Oh my new avatar picture is of the puppy and kitten I rescued in 2010 so they grew up together, they were the best of friends.

oh yes, name calling.... LOL that's shows how much older and more mature you are. I work at a CA. smog station so i'm well aware of the rules and regulations. You don't even live in this state so you really have nothing to bring here except your self serving opinion. Try to understand why the laws are in place and stop being so TX righteous. No one is attacking your state so lighten up. Your opinion of how the system 'should' work is null. I'd love it as much as the next guy to be a simpler system, and one that made sense to the commoner, but that's just not the reality.