Buying a car in Canada and importing to the US

XlexusTech

Ive found a car in Canada, I happen to work for a canadian company in the same providence so I am really thinking about it..
Anyone done it? Is it a nightmare ?

Gee. It's a PITA to bring an out of STATE car here into Arizona, I couldn't imagine bringing an out of country car here. I don't know if Canadian cars have the same safety and smog standards as American ones. That could be an issue. Seatbelts, placards, smog stuff, 5 mph bumpers and window glass come to mind...
I have purchased two boats with trailers from Californians that moved here, after purchase, you must make an appointment with the DMV, and wait for 2 to 4 hours till they get around to you, then THEY take it into a fenced impound area for inspection, and if they don't like anything on the boat or trailer, YOU DON'T GET EITHER BACK!!! The impound area is guarded by armed State cops too!
One of my customers brought back a Porsche from a European vacation, had it impounded for inspection (they do that here in Arizona,) it was cleared and licensed, insured, and then siezed from his driveway almost two years later and subsequently destroyed WITH his personal belongings still inside!
I wish they would do that to the plethora of illegal humans here......
I would do a lot of checking with your DMV first!
P.S After I purchased a Haulmark racecar trailer in Missouri on vacation, after TWO MONTHS, I recieved a bill for AZ. sales tax on the list sale price, not what I paid for it!
GOOD LUCK!!!
TIMINATOR

I don't think its state specific its US customs I live in the US and would cross at Vermont or NY crossings.
What could be State specific is what documents your DMV will require when you go to register it in your home State. The best advice is to check with your local DMV so you know exactly what documents are needed. I would take advice from others in a different State than you with a grain of salt as requirements may vary State to State.

I did it 7-8 years ago (Canada to Hawaii). It was not that difficult in my opinion but it did involve some extra steps/paperwork. It might be a simpler process if you drive it into the U.S. but I can’t recall after all these years.

Agreed, the cars were built here, but all EXPORT cars were not required to have U.S. FEDERALLY REQUIRED safety, warning/info placards and smog equipment. Those may be exported, but not re imported.
My wife spent over 15 years in the car auction import/export business. We have privatly done quite a few of these deals too.
But any of your problems will be your problems and none of my concern, do as you wish, I was trying to help, feel free to ignore my posts.
TIMINATOR

Agreed, the cars were built here, but all EXPORT cars were not required to have U.S. FEDERALLY REQUIRED safety, warning/info placards and smog equipment. Those may be exported, but not re imported.
My wife spent over 15 years in the car auction import/export business. We have privatly done quite a few of these deals too.
But any of your problems will be your problems and none of my concern, do as you wish, I was trying to help, feel free to ignore my posts.
TIMINATOR
I appreciate the help. Ive asked the seller for a picture of the emissions sticker

Don't forget the U.S. N.T.S.B. approval sticker. Without it, you may get it imported, but although your insurance company will accept your payments, they are under no obligation to pay claims without it.
I have been called by boat insurance companies to certify sunk, damaged, or stolen/recovered boats, or those involved in accidents on the water or TRAILER meet all Coast Guard requirements before any payment is made!
A while back, one of my customers boat was swamped and sunk near a boat ramp while waiting to load onto his trailer. The motor was NOT running when sunk. He thought our $500.00 recovery fee was excessive, although he was 264 miles away. Against my advice, he called his insurance companies hotline. Upon recovering the boat a few hours later, from about 12 feet under, it was required to be taken by the recovery company and placed into the insurance companies holding area. It sat there for over 2 weeks (motor full of water) before they got someone else to inspect it. As I declined to do the inspection, not wanting to get involved. They sent him a bill for over $3500.00 as I remember, for recovery, towing, impound, storage, and inspection, due to the fact:
The carburetor, starter, alternator, distributor and ignition system was NOT COAST GUARD CERTIFIED!
EVEN THOUGH THE ENGINE WAS NOT RUNNING AT THE TIME, and none of those items had anything to do with the boats sinking, WITH THE ENGINE OFF!
They also canceled his BOAT AND AUTO insurance, because of the "Coast Guard Certified parts only clause/ agreement he lied on when he signed applying for the boat insurance policy over 4 years prior.
They also blacklisted him for lying on his application! He ended up signing his truck and car over to his brother to get insurance! He never paid the impound bill to get the boat back either, as it was a 460 Ford powered jet boat, and only worth about $6000.00 anyway. Less with a water filled engine....
A lengthy word to the wise...
TIMINATOR

I recall doing a little research on this 7-8 years ago when I bought mine. Keep in mind our cars are 35 years old and may not be subject to some of the importation regulations being discussed here. Like anything else, you do your homework then decide. Importing/exporting our cars in and out of Canada is more common than one might think, several on this board have done it including myself with no issue whatsoever other than the added steps/paperwork to make it happen.

I've done it, not that bad. The border police can be a$$ holes. Don't let them upset you. Keep your cool and party on. Just need docs. Call border patrol and inquire what is needed for your specific situation.