Burnt directs with dual feed?

77 cruiser

I tore my trans down to take a look cause I had it out due to converter issues.
Found the directs were burned & steels hot spotted.
Would a slight bind on the 2-3 cause it?
Don't ask what the press. was, I never checked, thought they would be good they were 270 with the same pump before.
Didn't have the 3-2 valve blocked then I do now.

I tore my trans down to take a look cause I had it out due to converter issues.
Found the directs were burned & steels hot spotted.
Would a slight bind on the 2-3 cause it?
Don't ask what the press. was, I never checked, thought they would be good they were 270 with the same pump before.
Didn't have the 3-2 valve blocked then I do now.
Did it have a slight bind?
What servo?
Did you install stiffer direct return springs?

First servo was a 200C 112 I think, it had a noticeable bind. Put a GN servo in & had a very slight bind but slightly softened the 1-2 & 2-3.
I put in 8 extra springs inside the factory ones.
Should add too that I'm only low 12's with a 4200 lb. car.

Do
First servo was a 200C 112 I think, it had a noticeable bind. Put a GN servo in & had a very slight bind but slightly softened the 1-2 & 2-3.
I put in 8 extra springs inside the factory ones.
Should add too that I'm only low 12's with a 4200 lb. car.
Do you know if you have a GN servo return spring/the small spring?

Last edited:
Yes I have one probably not the stock one.
If it's not the stock one,it is probably weaker than stock. The bind is caused when the direct clutches apply too fast and the servo releases too slow. The easiest thing to do is speed up the release of the servo. Call Dave at Turbu Buick Performance and get a stronger return spring from him.
Have you run the trans since you did the 3-2 mod. This mod might help your problem.

If it's not the stock one,it is probably weaker than stock. The bind is caused when the direct clutches apply too fast and the servo releases too slow. The easiest thing to do is speed up the release of the servo. Call Dave at Turbu Buick Performance and get a stronger return spring from him.
Have you run the trans since you did the 3-2 mod. This mod might help your problem.
No I haven't, run it need to get clutches for directs & get the conv. fixed.

Attachments

• 100_4391.JPG
    100_4391.JPG
    947.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_4392.JPG
    100_4392.JPG
    868 KB · Views: 177
A slight bind won't hurt the clutches. Here's the ultimate direct clutch setup for a 200-4r. .100" steels in all locations with the nice apply ring and ultra strong ultra flat 4140 pressure plate. .100" steels should always be used here. The plate can be machined to your desired thickness. I can offer the plates in .250" 4140. if you think you need it though the 3/16 4140 has proven strong enough. Of course the direct oil circuit needs to be solid. No clutch setup will overcome leakage or inadequate pressures but these parts will allow a very very consistent apply and the pressure plate won't deflect with high pressures and dual feeds. Message if interested.
b25069ec0597f1c3f15e571debe25327.jpg
e23971d88c0a6dacea52f757c98438f6.jpg
4438d2c05df1ee1565ded354b0e43846.jpg
7b9cd3b904226d29fabec7db6b2ea0d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a billet piston now. Just have to figure out what to do. Thanks for all the help so far.

261ff710124862d920732f55028ffab8.jpg

Over 50 hits at mid 9 sec power @ 3700lbs on this one and the output shaft is twisted again. These are all going right back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem I see is you are using alto clutches which will always burn as you see them and a bad calibration on top of that. The bind will cause some heat in the clutch pack but not enough to cause any problem. No clutch pack is magical or ultimate and will make your setup live. Period. It all has to do with the complete overall calibration and quality of seal for the complete transmission to live. Give me a call and I will help make your dual feed calibration work correctly for your application.

Last edited:
One word of advice. If you have this trans behind a V* with a carb or throttle body you best get a pressure gauge on the trans and be sure as hell you have proper line rise.
A V8 needs much quicker line rise with throttle and they sell parts that will aid in making this happen.
Seriously get a gauge on this trans and see what it does.
(If you haven't already)

One word of advice. If you have this trans behind a V* with a carb or throttle body you best get a pressure gauge on the trans and be sure as hell you have proper line rise.
A V8 needs much quicker line rise with throttle and they sell parts that will aid in making this happen.
Seriously get a gauge on this trans and see what it does.
(If you haven't already)
I will when I put it back in.

Last edited:
Got it back running, David set me up with a new dir. clutch set, & a Sonnax super servo. Blocked the 3-2 control, still has just a touch of bind at mid throttle, but much better that it was.
Pressures were 80 min & 240 full TV.
Went to the last street night at our track 200 miles away. Manage to get 4200 lbs. to 11.93 @ 112.7.