Burning

When I try to start it, it acts like it wants to turn over, but won't. The alternator belt moves then hesitates as I try to start it.
There is fuel to the injectors and spark.
I aligned the crank sensor so the three metal fins (rings?) go through the first slot just like it was when I removed it. However, one of the balancer fins was bent and wasn't even going through the sensor.
I wonder if I screwed up somewhere when putting the chain on?

This seems to be the problem. Did the crank sensor break because the fins on the balancer were not aligned with it?Those fins cannot be bent at all and all the fins have to pass through the sensor to start the car.

I should have said my old balancer had a bent fin that didn't pass through the sensor.
I installed a new balancer and sensor after I discovered the bent fin.

Put a socket on alt bolt & an 18mm on tensioner bolt. Apply pressure to tensioner then turn Alt nut & see if it turns engine normal without binding. Plugs out makes it easier.
Double check crank sensor & cam sensor. If you have fuel etc it must be binding up? Maybe after you turn it around a few times & if its good take off the belt & try to start it.

When I try to start it, it acts like it wants to turn over, but won't. The alternator belt moves then hesitates as I try to start it.

Are you sure you have the cam sensor timed right? Plug wires on correct? Sounds like the spark is too far advanced.

Ok...I just removed the plugs and the engine turns just fine. Oh, does it matter which way I turn the engine???

I turned it counter clockwise when looking at the front of the engine.

It was pretty easy to turn and didn't feel like there was any difficulties in any area while rotating. I could also hear some sounds, like opening and closing as I was rotating the engine.

So far so good. If the motor rotates by hand there is no reason the starter would not be able to turn it.
Does it make any sounds when you try to crank it? A hum, buzz, click? Do the headlights dim or stay brightwhile you hold the key to start? I would check for power to the starter while the key is turned to the start position. This will take some long test leads or a friend to turn the key for you.

So far so good. If the motor rotates by hand there is no reason the starter would not be able to turn it.
Does it make any sounds when you try to crank it? A hum, buzz, click? Do the headlights dim or stay brightwhile you hold the key to start? I would check for power to the starter while the key is turned to the start position. This will take some long test leads or a friend to turn the key for you.

There are no out of the ordinary sounds when cranking. I put a new battery in just last week b/c the old one was dead from sitting since last April. I didn't notice any dimming.
How do I check the starter?

Does it spin free when you crank it with the starter with the plugs out? If so, check your cam sensor setting....AGAIN...:)

What is the cranking voltage with the plugs installed?

If it will turn over by hand AT LEAST 1 full revolution each direction- problem has to be battery,wires or connections or starter.Maybe wiggling the wiring during the timing chain job created a bad connection at the solenoid

How do I crank it w/the starter???
Ummm......Turn the key to "start"

How do I check the cranking voltage???
Put a volt meter on the battery and have someone attempt to start the engine, read the voltage as the key is in the start position.