Burhead Headers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
I hate to do to this but I feel everyone should beware as it seems we are not the first to have problems with Burhead Headers!

As I stated in a previous thread Waylon Adkins of Burhead Headers was contracted by us to build a Twin Turbo Kit for a Turbo Regal. The agreement was to build two kits and we would own the rights to the kit. I sent him $$ up front a turbo, a Cotton's IC (Thanks for letting us borrow it Jack) and a Gbody Parts IC, two waste gates and some flanges.

This project was started about a year ago with a delivery promise date of being here in time for the Pinks episode at Rockingham NC in 07! That date passed... Then it was supposed to be ready in time to go the Nats at BG 07. Weeks and weeks go by still nothing. Waylon sent Jay an email saying he needed some more money. Well Jay emailed Mr. Adkins basically getting into him about missing delivery dates and what was the problem. This email is what is what Jay owes an apology to him for according to Waylon... Waylon returned with an email with several "options" we had at "this point" plus threatening to send the stuff to china....

So I got on the phone and tried to salvage the project! I got the same thing, it will be ready soon, soon, soon, etc.... Then I was promised in early fall it would be ready with pics of it installed on a car. You can go back and look in the ESP thread and see where he posted he had "seen" this kit and pics would be up in a few weeks or soon (not sure on the quote)...

In the meantime he calls me for advice on another project he was working on and I gave him my honest opinion, don't mind saying it here but irrelevant (sorta) at this point. He says everything is great I am done all accept cool air inlet pipes for the turbo's. Well at this point we had waited so long I said just send what you got we will make that. He said great it will be there in a week or so....

A few weeks later I get a PM saying I owed him more money. I couldn't get him on the phone or by email but was getting messages through "others" from him. So I sent the money.

I called him the following Sat to ask when he was shipping the stuff. He said stuff will start to go out next week. I was ecstatic, finally something was happening. Well I had heard that Waylon made a few nasty remarks about Jay. I simply asked him "Have you been talking **** about Jay." I wasn’t mad or ill just asked. He said No. I said fine and I dropped it. Apparently he didn’t!

Well a week later I get just the IC's we sent him out and nothing else. I tried to contact him and only got some discouraging responses. I tried to work it out find out what his problem was etc.... So finally couple of weeks or so later he sends the headers. Still, no full kit mind you. I tried to email him because he woudn’t talk on the phone. I get some more weird emails back. He says "I did all this work and Jay gets to treat it like his prize winning hog!" I was floored, we hired him to do this the way Jay wanted it done and now he is mad because he didn't get enough credit. So I went back and added to the thread thanking him for all his hard work etc.... He was holding parts hostage over all this:mad:

Finally another week or 2 later the DP comes in! Still we have no IC piping, remember that....

I would receive emails not to contact him one day then next day saying call email or blah blah for help, I was :confused:

So I sent him another email trying to work out this problem. Well somebody other than Waylon wrote me an email back with a lot of legal ease in it. Waylon claims we only bought the one set of twin turbo headers and that was it...

So Brian puts the kit on a motor in his shop. It looks great on the stand but we noticed certain problems right off the bat. But they appeared minor at the start.

Well Jay went to start the install on my car today and the stuff just doesn't fit in the car:mad: Another well known Turbo Buick member was there to verify this.....

Here is the bottom line. He screwed up the job, never test fitted on a car. He still hasn't sent the IC piping and according to his email he doesn't them owe it to me. Why did he have me send him two different I/C's to make piping for if he didn't make it:confused:

I asked for my turbo back and the valves for the wastegates, I only got the turbo back, SHIPPING C.O.D….

This seems to be a pattern for him. I know of two other Turbo Buick members whom had similar experiences with, and you can find back in 02 where the LS1 guys had problems with him.

People shouldn't promise what they can't deliver, especially AFTER getting paid for it.

If you will notice he is NOT BANNED never has been, as he claims for some reason. Check his sig line. That was while I thought things were good:confused:

Not taking advantage of my position here. I placed it in feedback as any member can. I just don't want to see anyone else get the shaft.

On a side note I am not so sure this kit hasn't already been sent to China btw, if so good luck making it fit:biggrin:

We are going to complete this kit, DON'T worry! It is going to the fab shop that is local to Jay and making our 1 3/4 headers for us. Not going to say we have to start from scratch but close enough IMO....

Sorry for the wait everyone. It shouldn't take long with the new team working on this. Pics and video will be up as soon as possible!!

Ditto,

Sorry to hear, people that have been paid up front have a hard time working for money already spent---general rule

I was going to have him fab up parts for my LS1 car a couple years ago...went through all the trouble of getting the suspension set up to clear the down pipe and such...relocated the battery and numerous other things just to have him tell me that he all of a sudden he decided not to build a kit for me because the bottom end of my motor wasnt forged yet.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Hope it works out for ya Shane

Shane and Jay,

I am sorry about this situation but with the bad experience that
Michael Fell had with him, it does not surprise me.
Missed dates, issues with the headers hitting the control arms, not being able
to get a hold of him for weeks at a time were all things he experienced.
I almost sent him my headers just to get the car ready for Orlando.

I tired with all I had to make this work. I have lots of emails to support my statements btw...

Not on a witch hunt, just don't want anyone else to get burned....

Thanks for the heads up. What an absolute goat screw!

Good luck with the new effort.

Im just trying to figure out why you went with Waylon to begin with....last I heard he was out of the header making buisness a couple of years ago.:cool:

Im just trying to figure out why you went with Waylon to begin with....last I heard he was out of the header making buisness a couple of years ago.:cool:

Because he had actually built one of these kits for his own car. I approached him about building us a couple more kits with some changes to the kits and he agreed. Everything was great at first.. I talked to him on the phone a couple of times a week, progress reports were fairly regular but as soon as he started missing dates, things took a quick downturn.

After he threatened to send the headers to China back last June in an email to me, I stepped out of it and I havent spoken to him now in probably almost a year. Shane dealt with him exclusively since then by either email or phone.

Everyone who has seen this "kit" on the car agrees that it was not built on a car nor was it ever test fit. Shane saw it with his own eyes today so he can verify that it's not a "massage it and it will fit" scenario.

thumbsup.gif

Perhaps I'm dim. Why would he threaten to send the headers to China? He'd gain nothing from that.

Perhaps I'm dim. Why would he threaten to send the headers to China? He'd gain nothing from that.

ummmmm.... i'm assuming that Shane and Jay did lots of R&D to make sure their product's fit and finish plus performance would be on the money... in doing this multitude of R&D, most companies would like to recoup as much of there investment as possible-

by sending the header design to china for mass production - Burhead would bypass all of the red tape, if any - while paying a lot less for someone else's hard work - they would flood the market with the E-bay quality headers and possibly cut into any profit that Shane and Jay would make for their hours spent on the project.

that was just my take.... someone else might have another idea. HTH

ummmmm.... i'm assuming that Shane and Jay did lots of R&D to make sure their product's fit and finish plus performance would be on the money... in doing this multitude of R&D, most companies would like to recoup as much of there investment as possible-

by sending the header design to china for mass production - Burhead would bypass all of the red tape, if any - while paying a lot less for someone else's hard work - they would flood the market with the E-bay quality headers and possibly cut into any profit that Shane and Jay would make for their hours spent on the project.

that was just my take.... someone else might have another idea. HTH
Said very well!

The other part is he actually put that in an email to Jay that he would if.......

The third part is I happen to know whom he is in talks with for other work:eek: I will leave it at that:wink:

At this point I would settle for a simple refund by him and I send him is stuff back. But he want return calls so....

He cost us another year on this project and it is pretty much useless for the purpose Jay is trying to design it to be. It might fit on a race car with no AC etc. with a lot of work but not the goal of this whole project. Why do it at all if not going to do it right....

Looks good on an engine stand in a showroom if someone wants it:biggrin:

It will be done right soon. It was delivered to the right place today!

Shane, sorry it turned out this way for you.:frown:

The only "good" thing I have to say about my dealings with Waylon as an "exclusive" distributor for his Buick headers is that he pissed me off so much in our dealings that I went with TA to design and build our headers. He also owes [now in the past tense!] me for product not delivered.

We went to a reliable, high-tech firm to produce our headers after we did a complete redesign, and came up with an excellent product. Our development included MANY test fitting on various vehicles for compatibility and performance.

Hope you and Jay do the same, and please let me know if I can help in any way.:)

Correct me if I am wrong, when I bought a set of Burhead Headers approximately 4 years, Waylon told me that he has cancer and is dying? :confused: Is this the same Waylon? :confused:

I sent him a check and received the header set. The set was finished but needed some cleaning up, nothing major a die grinder couldn't take of. I then called him back wanting 3' of stainless tubing. He told me to send him a $40 check for the tubing. Well it has been 4 years and I am still waiting.

If this the same Waylon, how could someone say that they have cancer and don't have long to live? WTF!!!!!

There is a Burhead Headers from WV on TBS.com, is it the same Waylon???

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Correct me if I am wrong, when I bought a set of Burhead Headers approximately 4 years, Waylon told me that he has cancer and is dying? :confused: Is this the same Waylon? :confused:
...............................Billy T.gnxtc2@aol.com

Oh yes Billy, that is a same BS he laid on me years ago after I dealt with him for a while and he could not deliver as promised [after I paid him].:p

Yes this is the same "burhead" that Dave Fiscus and I dealt with a few years back when we were getting stgII headers built around an a/c box using stgII heads. He is in WV working in the coal mines now the last I heard.

He was building these in his parents shop behind their house in Sandy Hook, Kentucky. This is where both Dave and I took our cars to do the fabrication. This ended badly for Dave too, similar to your post with one exception----face to face. Lets just say it was good that Waylons dad was there to reel him back in according to Dave ( all Dave was there to do was to pick up his parts and his car, luckily I already had my car out of there ), I was not there for this confrontation luckly. His family is super nice ( we even had breakfast with him and his family one morning ), so I don't know where he gets this streak from. Maybe the cancer did something to him.

Oh, and by the way, he also told us about his cancer too. He told us that he was in remission at that point, this was 3 to 4 years ago.

IMO, he is not to be trusted ever.

This is amazing. All we heard is how "Everybody" in the Buick community had screwed him:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.