Bumper Fillers?

SS/GN

I have to change the bumper fillers on my car and I know the spool fool are the best but I want to keep these cars stock. I am going with the Kirbans/Goodmark style. Question is can you replace them (front and back) with out removing the bumpers?

You could replace the front bumper filler with the bumper on, but not the back.
I'm in the same process of also replacing both bumper fillers, but I remove both bumpers since I also wanted to repaint the bumpers since I had to also repair the header panel.
Here are a couple of YouTube from Spoolfull.

I just bought some from highway stars

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 402
I replaced mine as shown in the posted videos - front bumper stayed on (but loosened). Rear bumper needs to be removed. Not hard at all and I was able to do it by myself with the help of a 5 gallon bucket and a thick towel (for some adjustability) to stabilize one end of the rear bumper. Just need to be very careful when putting the bumper back on so you don't gouge the top outer edge of your new fillers.

I have to change the bumper fillers on my car and I know the spool fool are the best but I want to keep these cars stock. I am going with the Kirbans/Goodmark style. Question is can you replace them (front and back) with out removing the bumpers?
Kevin, believe me go with the Spoolfool fillers, you'll be glad you did. (y) They fit great and not wavy like the original ones…and yes you have to remove the bumpers to install them.:rolleyes:

see 'ya!

Claude. ;)

Kevin, believe me go with the Spoolfool fillers, you'll be glad you did. (y) They fit great and not wavy like the original ones…and yes you have to remove the bumpers to install them.:rolleyes:

see 'ya!

Claude. ;)

Claude I totally agree however the Kirbans/goodmark look more original and I want to keep the car original. Both my cars are original paint and it is killing me to replace these things.

kirban 2 cents worth

Spoolfool makes a quality piece in many cases the finish on them is superior than the factory paint jobs. We just had him make another product based on my suggestion and supplying the original. The 1986-198 Turbo Regal top radiator plate. In black polished gelcoat. It looks like metal.

Most original metal ones are rusted looking and you save about 2 lbs as this weighs a mere pound. Sorry to get off the topic slightly. This new part is not on our website yet gotta call my office. As for the GM style fillers most companies carry the same ones we do.
Technology is far superior to day versus the ones on our cars from 30 years ago. weird thing is on my personal white Turbo-T they are original and still good condition. Go figure.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I used cheapies from ebay. They came out ok but I had to shim the backsides to get the proper installed angle. The mold they were made from is off under the headlight by around 10°. If I could have bent them they would have been fine otherwise. The fronts sanded out nice and flat with three coats of high build primer. And I agree that the Spoolfool product is superior if you have the budget.

SS/GN I feel You, SpoolFool is and excellent product.But I was in that same dilemma a couple years back, wanting to keep my buick all original. So I to purchase Goodmark front an rear bumper fillers. The materials used now is very high quality, an I'm very impressed with the outcome. You will have to remove rear bumper for placement. P/M me for more information if wanted.

Attachments

• 20170115_120301.jpg
    20170115_120301.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 20170115_120355.jpg
    20170115_120355.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 20170115_120440.jpg
    20170115_120440.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 313
  • 20170115_120656.jpg
    20170115_120656.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 416
Someone educate me. I've read a few comments in here about not wanting to use the Spoolfool fillers because they wanted to keep the car original. What is it about the other parts that makes the car still original?
Aren't they replacement parts as well? Thanks.

Someone educate me. I've read a few comments in here about not wanting to use the Spoolfool fillers because they wanted to keep the car original. What is it about the other parts that makes the car still original?
Thanks.
I'm with you on this. I installed some other replacement fillers on my GN (no name mentioned) and the fit was crap and a lot of work in the end. I removed them and went with Spoolfool's fillers and never looked back. The fit was perfect and the color was almost an exact match. It had a little more gray in the color than original but it's not that noticeable. Everyone who has seen them doesn't even realize the color is slightly different unless I point it out to them. I also like the idea that the rear filler is one piece so there is no seam at the rear license plate. Looks a lot cleaner.

Claude I totally agree however the Kirbans/goodmark look more original and I want to keep the car original. Both my cars are original paint and it is killing me to replace these things.

You know my vote as I was heavily involved with the creation of the GMK original styles. They will not wave, they will not crack, nor distort, etc. They will fit, and I have tested MANY. They are made of the same exact compounds used in today's urethane, TPO, TPUR PP, etc...style bumper covers that are used today. They will not degrade over time. They are EXACT as OEM originals, down to the body line on the rears being slightly off. We did this on purpose for those that know this is there from the factory. If you are looking for an original look, GMK is the way to go.

If you're like me and tend to hit things, I wouldn't go with fiberglass fillers in the front. Fiberglass for the rear, I see no problem or issue.

I recently purchased a new set of those tpo front fillers for my Limited, the quality/fit is excellent and far superior to the originals. Now, for my rear, I'm leaning towards the Spoolfool one piece. That may change after a phone call to him, but from the feedback, I doubt it. However, shipping may be a deal breaker on the one piece, since I'm guessing oversized freight for it.

It's nice however that we're now lucky enough to have high quality, replacement fillers to argue about, since this wasn't the case til recently. I want to say thanks to all you guys that are trying to help keep our dinosaurs looking sexy with all the top notch, aftermarket stuff, not just fillers either. Since I know it takes a lot of time, money, and frustration to bring new parts and products to market. Without your help, myself and many others would be driving around in a raggedy-ass, David Spade lookin Buick. Keep up the exceptional work, I can't wait to see where your ideas and innovation take us to in the near future.

Last edited:
Aren't they replacement parts as well? Thanks.

Ok, let's get down to the picky person side of the Buick crowd. First of all I have fitted, painted and installed over 20 sets of fillers, not just 1 or 2 like a lot on here have done.

Abs plastic, and Danko have there place, they require a lot of body work to get a good fit, price is what sells these. Some molds twisted, body lines maybe only close but can be made to work.

Spoolfool, the best fiberglass fillers ever made. Near perfect fit each set I installed, rear is a 1 piece with exceptional quality, slightly rounded body lines, I always painted to match. The rear is a little thicker than original material therefore the taillight area requires a little finesse.

Goodmark, a near perfect reproduction, exceptional quality, fronts are 100% identical to original, clean sharp body lines and fit, rear has overlap as originals did. This is what I recommend for a concours restoration. The rear are a little thicker than original material therefore the taillight area requires a little finesse.

Everyone just has to make their decision due to budget and looks, but Spoolfool and goodmarks are excellent choices, no going wrong with either, just personal preference.

After doing multiple sets, I can tell who's fillers are on a car with a quick look. None are perfect as all have a flaw or two.

Kevin, let us know your opinion once installed, you got my number so feel free to call if any questions.

Last edited: