Bumper fillers install from Danko Recreations

stock 87 GN

America is still Great
IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1113.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1115.JPG IMG_0981.jpg IMG_0980.jpg IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1117.jpg IMG_1118.jpg Hey everyone,
I had to replace my 86 GN's bumper fillers…front and back, the car has only 9900 Original miles but as soon as I took the car out for some shows, the fillers started to break apart. I looked for a few options and since I live in S. Florida I was told of a company called Danko Reproductions in Opa Loca North Miami, that actually makes them, the price was right so I purchased a set. I was going to try going the original route but it was quite expensive so I looked at other fiberglass manufactures but a good friend recommended them and I figure what do I have to lose.

I have to say that I was very skeptical but when my friend Jeff ( thanks for the help bud) and I started the fitting process, we found that it was not that hard to do. It's my first time doing these…You do have to remove the back bumper and tail lights to fit the rear set and its best to remove the front bumper to do a proper fitting for the front set, then you have to drill out the holes and bolt the fillers in to make sure they fit then send them out to paint. The quality of the fiberglass fillers are top notch, they don't break apart when drilling and are pretty flexible. There are indents where you have to drill out the holes then you just adjust the fillers to the fender/quarter panel. The horizontal line on the fillers matched the body line on the bottom of the fender and quarter panel to the T. The owner of the company told me that he made the molds from his TB 25 years ago thats why they fit so well. I actually called him to ask him a few questions and he was nice enough to take the time to answer my questions and give some advise but the kit does come with instructions.

I will post pics soon, I am looking for a body shop to paint the pieces once i'm done with the fitting…one body shop wanted $500 just to fit the pieces to the car and $250 to paint them.

Hope this helps anyone that has to replace their bumper fillers, they also make light weight fiberglass Header panel, 3 piece rear spoiler for the GN and fiberglass bumpers as well.
I read the rules and therefore I removed the manufacturers website address and phone number. I am not affiliated with them and just sharing my experience with the rest of the GN gear heads. I understand that vendors pay to advertise their products here and thats what keeps our website free for us…so I do apologize if it seemed that I was pushing this guys website in my post. Stay tuned for pics when I have the parts painted and installed.

Last edited:
If time permits I will be taking off the fillers tonight and bring them to the shop tomorrow. I'm using a shop that does restorations on Old Porsche's, Jags and other exotics. He actually did quiet a few grand national fillers and explained how he will be using a flex agent so that the paint won't crack if the fillers are flexed. I'm hoping for the best and will keep you posted on the progress.

If time permits I will be taking off the fillers tonight and bring them to the shop tomorrow. I'm using a shop that does restorations on Old Porsche's, Jags and other exotics. He actually did quiet a few grand national fillers and explained how he will be using a flex agent so that the paint won't crack if the fillers are flexed. I'm hoping for the best and will keep you posted on the progress.

You don't need the flex agent in fiberglass, the originals yes. It won't hurt.

I have used those on all my cars before spoolfool was around. They are very nice. They never rot either.

You don't need the flex agent in fiberglass, the originals yes. It won't hurt.

I have used those on all my cars before spoolfool was around. They are very nice. They never rot either.
Hey Steve, Glad to hear you used them as well, like I said when I first found out about the Danko fillers I was very skeptical especially when the lady at the office quoted me a price of $199 for the set of 4 so I figured what the heck lets see them. I was impressed with the product and so was the body shop guys at two different shops. I was going to put on original rubber fillers but only found a front set which were $350 so you see why I went looking for another option. I wanted to keep my car as original as possible since it only has 9980 miles on it but didn't want to put on something that will crack and fall apart later.

Yesterday I found the time to remove the fillers and brought them to the body shop, thanks again to Denis who told me where to look for the paint code which showed 19U on the plaque under the hood. In the meantime I will clean up the bumpers and areas that I can get to now before I get the parts back, I will shoot some pics tomorrow. It was a lot easier fitting the fillers than I thought and glad I tried it, I can't take all the credit, I want to thank my good friend Jeff who took the time to drive down from boynton beach to help me…I know how much he wanted to hang out at home with his wife and go through his honey do list. Can't wait to get the parts back and see how they fit and look with the bumpers on.

A friend offered to buy my 86 GN, he missed out on buying my 87 GN that had 21,000 original miles…I'm not selling it but what is an 86 with 9900 Original miles worth?

Did you install the taillights back in during the test fitting to see how they seated with the fillers?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Did you install the taillights back in during the test fitting to see how they seated with the fillers?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Yes I did, they looked good I have to check my phone and see if I took any pics otherwise I will take some pics when I get them from the paint shop.

Yes I did, they looked good I have to check my phone and see if I took any pics otherwise I will take some pics when I get them from the paint shop.
If they are like the many pairs I have installed you will find that the driver side rear is too deep and doesn't fold in under the taillight properly. The other side is too shallow and requires shims. Spoolfool's on the other hand are perfect. A little more expensive but worth it in the long run. This is not an advertisement.

If they are like the many pairs I have installed you will find that the driver side rear is too deep and doesn't fold in under the taillight properly. The other side is too shallow and requires shims. Spoolfool's on the other hand are perfect. A little more expensive but worth it in the long run. This is not an advertisement.

Did you install the tailligh
Double post. WTF
It happened to me as well,
I did look at spool fool but they were $650, With 2 kids I'm on a budget and figured $199 wasn't too bad after I saw the pieces and was referred by a good friend who used their product before and was very happy with them. I will have to say that it was an experience fitting the pieces onto the car and also having to paint the pieces is time consuming and at the end if they fit right It would cost me around $450 plus a few bucks for gas and my time to do the work and drop off the parts…maybe spool fool is a good way to go. Are spool fool fillers good to go as far as paint or do they have to be painted as well?

Spoolfool fillers would also need to be painted so that adds to their cost plus shipping on their one piece rear filler is not cheap either witch also comes into consideration. I will agree that Spoolfool are better but when cost is an issue the Danko fillers are a good option especially since they are local for stock 87 GN and he was able to pick them up witch saved the cost of shipping too. Guy, I think you will be happy when their painted and on the car since they will look 100% better than the holes you had in the original crumbling fillers.

It happened to me as well,

I did look at spool fool but they were $650, With 2 kids I'm on a budget and figured $199 wasn't too bad after I saw the pieces and was referred by a good friend who used their product before and was very happy with them. I will have to say that it was an experience fitting the pieces onto the car and also having to paint the pieces is time consuming and at the end if they fit right It would cost me around $450 plus a few bucks for gas and my time to do the work and drop off the parts…maybe spool fool is a good way to go. Are spool fool fillers good to go as far as paint or do they have to be painted as well?
I had problems fitting the Danko's on my car. The main issue was my tail lights would not fit up flush with the body. I ended up putting on Spool Fool fillers and never looked back. They fit perfect and look great. You should paint them if you want an exact match. They do have a little grey in the color. It's not really noticeable unless you are in bright sunlight. I didn't paint mine and nobody has really noticed the color difference.

I should get the parts from the paint shop in a day or two…would like to see how they fit and check for the tail lights fitment. will take pics.