bumper fillers abs or fiberglass?

piece

was wondering if i can get any feed back from people who have used either pros/cons.have a nos front pair(rears are big bucks)trying to figure out which way to go.thanks in advance jim

I went through many sets of ABS rears trying to get one that fit. 3 sets showed up cracked and the others didnt fit. The edge wouldnt tuck under the tail light. I would say go with original fronts and fiberglass rears. Otherwise the fiberglass fronts fit well too!

I've had glass for about 10 years now. I had to file a couple of the holes to get them to pull in flush with the body and add a plastic nail under the tag to pull it together.

The biggest thing is match the shape. I've seen some aftermarket rears that are too rounded. The edge should be sharp. Ironically I've seen some aftermarket fronts (ABS) that are too sharp

The fiberglass are less expensive, but if someone taps you in the rear you may end up with sheet metal damage.

Just did fiberglass ones.

Many of the fiberglass ones don't line up too well. If you've got the time or money to reglass them, then they should look good for longer than the abs. It's also nice to make the fiberglass rears into a one piece deal so you don't have the seam under the gas cap. Just got done doing a set. Think that I got them from g-body parts. I also shaved the rubber trim off my bumbers.

P1010017-1.jpg

P1010018-1.jpg

P1010021-2.jpg

Here's the rears.
P1010014-1.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

P1010021-1.jpg

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

I am happy with the fiberglass set (front and rear) I got from G-Body. I did a quick paint and install since my car has original paint that isn't the best. They look 10,000% better than the originals I had, and will tweak them a little more when I get around to painting the car. I'm sure the glass will outlast the ABS.

so whats the outcome here? glass is better than abs or oem is the best? also where can i get the full length rear filler from and where should I buy the other fillers from as well? I want to just install them, make sure they fit good and then take them off and send them along with the car to get painted. Let me know Thanks

OEM is always the best. The front OEM fillers are still affordably priced but the price of the rears have been jacked up to rediculous prices. I would say the best thing to do is buy a set of fiberglass rears and OEM fronts.

so whats the outcome here? glass is better than abs or oem is the best? also where can i get the full length rear filler from and where should I buy the other fillers from as well? I want to just install them, make sure they fit good and then take them off and send them along with the car to get painted. Let me know Thanks

As of right now, no one sells a one piece rear filler. The one in the picture above was glassed together from two pieces. If you want one that you can just take out of the box, paint, and screw on, I'd say get OEM. Hope this helps.

In short: There are pros and cons to both OEM and fiberglass.

Mike B.

As of right now, no one sells a one piece rear filler. The one in the picture above was glassed together from two pieces. If you want one that you can just take out of the box, paint, and screw on, I'd say get OEM. Hope this helps.

In short: There are pros and cons to both OEM and fiberglass.

Mike B.

To add one more thing to this. The crumbling of OEM fillers are caused by solvents outgassing. That happens whether they've been in a box or on the car. They certainly deteriorate at a faster rate on the car but the clock starts ticking when they are made. And none of them have been made recently so......

what do you have to do to glass ones besides paint and screw on?

IMO, the fiberglass pieces that you get out of the box are just a starting piont. My front and rear fillers required about thirty hours worth of cutting, reglassing, fitting, filling, and sanding from a body shop to be "show quality". This time did not enclude paint. The good news is, that they should look good for ever, unless someone does something stupid.:eek:. I plan on keeping my car for a long time, so I try and do stuff once that will last.

Mike Barnard

Rear factory no longer available unless in dealer stock. Fronts still avaialbe around $90 a piece:D