Bullet cam..

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Just received the cam for the 5.3 turbo app.
226/225 @ .050
LSA 115*
Timing events: IN 3*/43*. EXH 52.5*/-7.5*
Lift .610/.610
Intake in at 110*

We'll see how this puppy works w/ the BW400SX3-75, 1.25a/r, T4.:D
CNC'd 317's, 9:1 comp, forged bottom end.

That's interesting. Chuck are you planning on running the turbo to the end of the map?

That's interesting. Chuck are you planning on running the turbo to the end of the map?

Likely not. The plan is a street car w/ ac, and all the creature comforts. Should be enuf to "keep up w/ traffic"!
Might you have some suggestions?

Seems like a large duration and tight centerline for what sounds like a semi-high back pressure turbo setup, no? I was seeing close to 2.4:1 of back pressure at 25psi with my 5.3 and the s300sx3 75 turbo 83/74 exh wheel. (1.10AR t4 though) Are you planning to rev it really high?

Ran the $98 ZR1 cam last year with decent results. Power didn't really come in until 5500+ with the ZR1. Going with the a 215/215 @ 112 .56x/.56x lift next year.

Last edited:
Could twist it if necessary....:D
This turbo, recommended by Reed, at Work Turbo, is what they are using in their "test mule" 5.3/Silverado. Truck runs mid/early 6's in the 1/8th.
I ran the cam specs past him, and he said it would be a good combo...[Guess I should have figured that.] However, he did say the mule is running a GM cam.. Don't recall if it is a LS6 or 9 grind.
The turbo is the extended tip deal, with these specs:
Comp 75/81
Exh 87/81
May work, may have to make some changes..
IDEAS????

Could twist it if necessary....:D
This turbo, recommended by Reed, at Work Turbo, is what they are using in their "test mule" 5.3/Silverado. Truck runs mid/early 6's in the 1/8th.
I ran the cam specs past him, and he said it would be a good combo...[Guess I should have figured that.] However, he did say the mule is running a GM cam.. Don't recall if it is a LS6 or 9 grind.
The turbo is the extended tip deal, with these specs:
Comp 75/81
Exh 87/81
May work, may have to make some changes..
IDEAS????

How much power do you want to make and when do you want it? How are you gearing the car?

I think you should give it a shot. (esp if you already bought the cam) I thought all the S400SX3 models were the 83/74 wheels. With your larger wheel and housing you may do much better on back pressure than I did. I also ran the OEM rotating assy so I didn't want to rev it very high. Ended up going 5.73 in the 1/8th, 8.93 @ 153 in the 1/4. 8.6:1 compression 317 heads and ls9/ZR1 cam. 22psi slowly creeping to 25lbs on the big end.

If I were designing the setup around that cam I'd go with a big stall to get it out of the hole and the larger T6 1.32AR 96/87mm wheel with a 2.125" hotside. Either way I'm sure it will run great. From what I've read, that cam will sacrifice a bit of low end for a better top end charge. It may drop off a bit of power if the back pressure gets too high though.

Last edited:
Finding the correct map for this wheel was a bit of an "exercize".
At the pr I used, it appears it can support about 95# of air...
I'm going to try it, and see how it goes.
The gear will be a 3.50 Ford, 4L80E, 28" tires, and a PTC converter from Dusty.
The next iteration of hot side piping will most likely be T6, and 2-2.25" tubes on the truck manifolds. [Current tubing is 2.5...What I had at the time.]
If I get really ambitious, I may make some engine dyno pulls w/ different combos, just to see what really works.
I may also move the wg to a more advantageous location. As it is now, I may not have boost control at really low levels. [Like, who runs around at 5psi??!:D]

Attachments

• Final turbo location 002.jpg
    Final turbo location 002.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 148