Buinicorn

SuperBuickGuy

I'll add more details as time allows... but I'll start here.
I bought this 1964 Buick Special Wagon at a swap meet for $300. I've been looking for one just like it (and almost bought one just like it for 2k) for 5 or more years. It took 3 years after the buy to solve its title issues, but now it's time to build.

Frame this. I had a Pastor who I really liked who would always buy his wagons (he needed the carry capacity because he was the first call if you ever did a project). He would go to the dealership and buy the loss leader. You know, the car that dealerships would place to lure people in to buy a 'better' car. Not only would he insist on the loss leader, but more times than not, he'd convince them to knock a few dollars off. This car is a twin to the one I remember most. So the car is, in my fashion, a tribute to him.

However, stock is too reliable.... and here it goes. The plan is update the car but leave the exotic stuff alone. Tubular suspension, 12 bolt rear, disk brakes front, drum rear, a/c, overdrive trans.... I have the rear (3.31 gear), the suspension (stock springs but mostly CPP stuff), brakes (newer GM metric), and a 1984 hot air GN motor and trans. The whole thing here is - something my old pastor would have driven, so it's going to be blue, likely never get a radio, bench seats.... and a 1984 motor with nitrous hidden under the plenum to do chemically what most do with an air-to-air intercooler.

the first big question was does it fit under the flat hood?

yep

The motor I'll go through, at this moment I think the valve train is seized - but it has been basting in diesel fuel for the last 3 years so hopefully it's at least clean where it counts inside.
For computer, I'll use a Megasquirt - I've used them on a couple builds and like their flexibility
internals, strengthened - whether I 4 bolt it or not, not sure yet - at this point without cracking the pan the result might be simply find a series motor and build it... but if I go with it, new pistons, champion heads and a 6 bolt conversion
transmission, build to 1000 hp spec 200r4.. that said, if I am forced into a series motor, I dunno.... cross that bridge when I come to it.
as for right now, this was yesterday

yes, that's a shed-load of bondo on the quarter.... anyone knows of a reasonably priced quarter panel and rear bumper... that'd be great to know, if not, metal work doesn't scare me.

so a bit more.

I think the HA 3.8 looks close enough to the Olds 215 turbo motor (run with me here) that to anyone outside if this circle, they'll have no clue when I casually say "oh, it's a stock turbo Buick".... without an intercooler to give it away, who would dispute? now in the extended circle of friends there are some who like the casual bet on outcomes at the track. Let's say that again.... 84 HA 3.8 with a turbo and a hidden (wet) nitrous system along with a methanol kit for the typical cruise/drive. I can undersize the turbo to get instant boost and let the nitrous sing its amazing song at WOT.... all in something 'from' the 60s. It also helps that the intake manifold looks vaguely like a Corvette fuel injection.... of course the downside is I can only run at lights out - but I'm a grey-haired-old-guy that doesn't often play at the track on dragracing nights.

I plan to build so that the bottom end can handle 1000 hp, and most people think wagons are heavy...... there's also the guys who spend their Microsoft bonuses in April..... "I thought your McClaren was faster than that - you should probably take it back and get it tuned or something"

anyway, I'll build it here and if you're in, cool, if not, I'll certain tell of my missteps as well... but in any case, this is fun to me. I don't own a shop, I don't have a reputation to protect, it's just fun.

time to make stuff you'll never see pretty
upyMQjfh.jpg

lP9QTobh.jpg

T7kzDQmh.jpg

and the fun of putting brakes together
lP9QTobh.jpg

I think it had new slave cylinders... don't care, they're cheap
EYY1gxkh.jpg

0MJNUyQh.jpg

IKsuxVBh.jpg

it's like a puzzle with extra and missing pieces but no picture
1wTaz6Ih.jpg

okay a picture of something similar
MBaIEqMh.jpg

two packages of stuff to get most of what I need.... missing the parking brake bar
cvyuOykh.jpg

this has everything but the e-brake and it's for both sides
iIOBK4zh.jpg

since I have to order the bar
back to installing
55jexAzh.jpg

Time to start hanging pieces
didn't notice this
Tt8EpKvh.jpg

fixed
GDSDywQh.jpg

well hung
vrmco4rh.jpg

paint so I could start on the front
0lvXeEEh.jpg

Buick... he's not a fan of fireworks, so he's attached in the shop

rattle can rebuild
mKCecyah.jpg

bit of weight in the front.... yeah, the rear axle overbalanced it
7dyXYC6h.jpg

sway bar installed
DDCtnqPh.jpg

start of suspension work
1lhIX0Vh.jpg

so there's only one, slight problem with these lower arms

how does one lube those zerks when the suspension is together?

but the steering box was a direct bolt in
Q1yiXunh.jpg

cleaned and painted the steering arms too
0Gx7joUh.jpg

thanks for watching