BUILT 2004-R AND VIGILANTE 9 1/2, package or seperate

jbaker

hey all,

trans is the original core from our 1985 monte ss which we bought new, so its a one owner. the current buildup was done in year 2000 by jimmy's trans
in mundulein,illinois. it has right at 10,000 street miles and no more than 100
strip runs. first 9000 miles and 90 strip runs it was behind a 350c.i.d./330h.p. gm crate motor. the rest of the time it was behind a 630 h.p./413c.i.d. both carbed and no nitrous ever and no transbreak. last fall/winter we built a 787 h.p. small block, and chose to put a turbo 400 behind it. so out came the 2004-r and current converter.

the build includes a PTS EXTREME billet input shaft and a PTS EXTREME billet shafted forward drum. billet servo, level 10 shift kit,manual/automatic valve body setup, bottom feed filter with pan spacer, the usual boost valve mods,seal retainer, extra clutch plates,h.d band,etc. .....i can forward to you the details that are included in jimmy's build.

we have had two different vigilantes used with the trans. the first one was a vigilante 9 1/2 3400 stall (just sold it). the latest converter is a vigilante 9 1/2 single disc lockup and was new in 2007.
when purchased new it was stalled at 4500rpm. it has 1000 street miles and 10 strip runs. we had it restalled to 5800rpm over the winter thinking it would matchup better with the 787 h.p. motor. in this 5800 config.
it has seen a half hour on the street this spring FOR CARB TWEAKING and thats it. we then went to the turbo 400. it is now out of the free restall adjustment period, but precision said that they would do a free restall on it to whoever bought it.
i will pay shipping to precision for the restall and they will forward to you.

the trans is solid and still works well, and the converter is practically new and was inspected last fall during the restall. fluid/filter changed three times since the buildup. last time was this winter...... fluid came out clean and red.
can forward pics if needed.

$1800 trans and converter...... plus shipping
$1500 trans only..... plus shipping
$450 converter only..... shipped

call 309-853-9671
or 309-853-7035

thx jeremy and jerome baker
jbaker@kresscarrier.com

Yes it’s a 10 year old thread. But it’s a pretty impressive build. Definitely something I would consider buying in June. After I read CK’s book I found a whole new respect for automatic transmissions. I had my WE4 transmission rebuilt (stock build) 26 years ago (I think) by CK and it’s still shifting like butter today. I would really like to buy a transmission built like this one. The build I had in mind from the book would cost me around $1500 in parts alone. So I too would be interested in this transmission. All I would need to do is modify the pump to work with an Art Carr non lockup 9” that I’m waiting to use with my winter build.

Yes it’s a 10 year old thread. But it’s a pretty impressive build. Definitely something I would consider buying in June. After I read CK’s book I found a whole new respect for automatic transmissions. I had my WE4 transmission rebuilt (stock build) 26 years ago (I think) by CK and it’s still shifting like butter today. I would really like to buy a transmission built like this one. The build I had in mind from the book would cost me around $1500 in parts alone. So I too would be interested in this transmission. All I would need to do is modify the pump to work with an Art Carr non lockup 9” that I’m waiting to use with my winter build.
Yes however this was an ad in parts for sale not a build thread. So being 10 yrs old is relevant. Inflation alone the price isn't even relevant or accurate anymore.

Yes however this was an ad in parts for sale not a build thread. So being 10 yrs old is relevant. Inflation alone the price isn't even relevant or accurate anymore.
You’re right. I didn’t even think about that. I guess I’m just gunna stick with the idea of my own build with a kit from CK and some Performance hardened part from Chris. I’ll figure something out. Especially with all the knowledge dropped on this forum.

Last edited: