Building a 1964 Buick Special

The powder coating is done on the intake tubes and the lower scoop. The photo of the intake tube isn't great, but it's a pretty close match to the intake and valve covers.

IMG_4430_zpsdlxlq75y.jpg

IMG_4429_zpskrzpmaol.jpg

Assembling the scoop to the intercooler shroud shows a nice match. Can't wait to get this installed, but it will have to wait until the brakes are installed because I want to make sure I have plenty of room to work in front of the engine.

IMG_4431_zpsytog1n5r.jpg

IMG_4432_zpssassusbo.jpg

IMG_4434_zpstmilgj18.jpg

Wow man that looks great! Very nice work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The brakes installed at the wheels without too much drama. I like the fact that the rotors slip over the existing hubs, which makes replacement easier and leads to no additional wheel offset.

IMG_4453_zpsemtazxjc.jpg

Since I was already working under the front end of the car, I decided to add the RJC Biggie oil filter adapter. I've deleted the stock oil cooler, which caused some interference between the lower intercooler bracket and larger diameter filter. A good portion of the bracket needs to be trimmed to clear the filter, but none of the trimming occurs in any stiffening ribs.

IMG_4474_zpsyr1c9ire.jpg

IMG_4475_zpsgbai2g3g.jpg

Next up is installing the large tube-style sway bar, then I should be able to button everything up!

I was previously not using a coolant recovery system - it was the old-school, dump-it-out-the-tube method. Very environmentally friendly..

I found this tank at a swap meet, and it looked like it would work for this purpose. Engine compartment space is at a premium in my car, so I mounted this in front of the core support, but behind the grille. That flat black paint makes it somewhat invisible from the front (which was my intention).

IMG_4511_zps2suukak3.jpg

IMG_4512_zpsx2vayu9j.jpg

IMG_4510_zpsqnzgp6oo.jpg

IMG_4514_zpsg8jp4ief.jpg

Since I was already working under the front end of the car, I decided to add the RJC Biggie oil filter adapter. I've deleted the stock oil cooler, which caused some interference between the lower intercooler bracket and larger diameter filter. A good portion of the bracket needs to be trimmed to clear the filter, but none of the trimming occurs in any stiffening ribs.

IMG_4474_zpsyr1c9ire.jpg

IMG_4475_zpsgbai2g3g.jpg

The "trimming of the I/C bracket to clear the biggie oil filter mod procedure" would make a good write up for the how to section as I bought the adapter then decided to get a K&P Engineering oil filter which is the same size as the PF52 filter and trimming the I/C bracket is not necessary, but I read nothing at all about trimming the bracket.
Thank you very much for posting the photos.

The "trimming of the I/C bracket to clear the biggie oil filter mod procedure" would make a good write up for the how to section as I bought the adapter then decided to get a K&P Engineering oil filter which is the same size as the PF52 filter and trimming the I/C bracket is not necessary, but I read nothing at all about trimming the bracket.
Thank you very much for posting the photos.

I think the main reason I needed to trim The bracket was because I eliminated the stock oil cooler sandwich adapter. I traded a few e-mails with Jason @ RJC, and he said he didn't think trimming was necessary in a stock (ie - with oil cooler) application, but he wasn't sure about the cooler delete option. I forwarded the same photos in this thread to him, in the event he wanted to use them for potential future customers.

At some point soon, I'm going to record a video showing all the mods done this winter, and post to YouTube (with a link here). It will become more clear what everything looks like, I think, after you get a visual of how everything fits. I also keep all build images on Photobucket (see link below). All the photos on this thread reside on the Photobucket album (as well as all my previous car builds).

Photobucket Main Page

I think the main reason I needed to trim The bracket was because I eliminated the stock oil cooler sandwich adapter. I traded a few e-mails with Jason @ RJC, and he said he didn't think trimming was necessary in a stock (ie - with oil cooler) application, but he wasn't sure about the cooler delete option. I forwarded the same photos in this thread to him, in the event he wanted to use them for potential future customers.

At some point soon, I'm going to record a video showing all the mods done this winter, and post to YouTube (with a link here). It will become more clear what everything looks like, I think, after you get a visual of how everything fits. I also keep all build images on Photobucket (see link below). All the photos on this thread reside on the Photobucket album (as well as all my previous car builds).

Photobucket Main Page

Thank you for the clarification.

I had some initial leaks with some of the fabbed lines, but fortunately none of the lines that are difficult to get to. Also, I broke a bleeder off while loosening one of the rear wheel cylinders, which prompted a "What the heck, they're $12 each, I'll replace them both" moment.

After bleeding and getting a good, solid pedal, I'm not finding any leaks and should be ready to go. Below is the latest shot of the engine bay, showing the new master/booster/lines/vacuum unit, as well as the newly powder-coated intake tubing.

IMG_4528_zpsryd9zgum.jpg

When you drive by, I'm sure people hear the turbo whistle and think something is dragging or maybe the muffler bearing is failing, the whole time wondering WHAT THE ???????.

Great job making the engine look like it was born there!

I've completed the last of my seasonal projects. I replaced the old and cracking stock floor mat with an A-Body carpet set from ACC. The color code #22 Gunmetal Grey is what the stock color for my trim code would have been, if my car were ordered with carpet.

Kinda amazed at how much this transformed the interior. It looks brand new!

0DCF5782-AE8D-4F0D-B5D5-78A8C76ED416_zpslzalqjtl.jpg

E50D3B84-459C-4D38-8525-B51AACFB7801_zpsvwkkc8tm.jpg

The only thing on the agenda now is enjoying it for the summer!

I received my TT chip this week, and had a chance to install it a couple days ago. I hadn't realized how much the stock "wandering" idle downgrades the overall driving experience. The open loop idle really smoothed things out.

The best way I can describe the difference is that the car previously felt like a reasonably tuned carbureted car, and now it feels more like a modern FI car, with regards to idle and throttle response. Although I saw the benefits of cold starting and warm-up right away, I was missing that last piece of the puzzle with regards to the benefits of FI.

Now if I can just figure out the sloppy 1-2 shift... :)

I had some initial leaks with some of the fabbed lines, but fortunately none of the lines that are difficult to get to. Also, I broke a bleeder off while loosening one of the rear wheel cylinders, which prompted a "What the heck, they're $12 each, I'll replace them both" moment.

After bleeding and getting a good, solid pedal, I'm not finding any leaks and should be ready to go. Below is the latest shot of the engine bay, showing the new master/booster/lines/vacuum unit, as well as the newly powder-coated intake tubing.

IMG_4528_zpsryd9zgum.jpg

Wow! The intake tubes look totally different in this pic, as they looked black up above.

The Car looks great man! Can’t even imagine how much fun it would be to drive around! Awesome build with huge fun factor!! Keep it coming!!

Now if I can just figure out the sloppy 1-2 shift... :)
So the trans issue was actually NO SECOND GEAR. A combination of a smoked band, disintegrated 1-2 accumulator spring, and a few worn 3-4 clutches were the culprits. I just had a reputable local trans builder refresh it.

Each time I do something to this car, I can’t believe how much better it is. The trans rebuild brought the car to a whole new level. I don’t want to get out of it now!

Took the ‘64 to a local show today. It’s been unusually cool and rainy here in SE MI, and I was looking forward to seeing some cars.

It was a participant-judged event, and I only knew a few people there, but saw some cool cars and met a few people. What I wasn’t expecting was placing in my class (64-67 modified)!

12C32954-ED78-4834-9C38-8D326C9229C7_zps7nasmpsv.jpg

Took the ‘64 to a local show today. It’s been unusually cool and rainy here in SE MI, and I was looking forward to seeing some cars.

It was a participant-judged event, and I only knew a few people there, but saw some cool cars and met a few people. What I wasn’t expecting was placing in my class (64-67 modified)!

Congrats man!! Truly an awesome build! So, outstanding is a good award for it!!

Well done Tim! Now it's time for your effort, workmanship, and creativity to be recognized and appreciated by others.:cool: