Building a 1964 Buick Special

Tim_D

Active Member
Been working with a few new photo filters. If the picture of the car looks better than the actual car, you know you've found a good filter!





I'll need to make some upgrades this year, so stay tuned. The engine mounts are shot (I used the stockers from the original '64 225 V6), and upgrading to the turbo V6 versions means updating the frame brackets as well. I was able to source the frame brackets from another member.

Also in the works is upgrading the seats. I'm begrudgingly doing this because of the excellent condition of the stock interior; however, the large amount of miles I've been putting on the car have forced me to look for a comfort upgrade. I've ordered replacement covers for the front and rear benches from TMI, along with improved foam for the front bench. More pics to come soon -
 
Last edited:

V6sleeper

Well-Known Member
Fantastic work !
Maybe you should market that intercooler scoop i'm sure some of the Slic guys would buy it.;)
 

Tim_D

Active Member
I've finished the "easy" part of this winter's upgrades (the new seat covers from TMI). The front seat also uses their foam, which provides a bucket-like feel. They are very comfortable. The color is pearl white with grey velour inserts, which is very nice with the stock door panels and carpet. I'm interested in honest opinions!



 

Tim_D

Active Member
This weekend, I added a little more "TR" content. I scored a set of very clean used aluminum drums from a local turbo Buick guy. The drums are 9 1/2" - just like the rear drums back in '64. I just slipped them over top the existing brakes, and readjusted.

I'll try to get full size images up later today.
 
Last edited:

Tim_D

Active Member
Next order of business... Methanol injection!

I've purchased the kit from @Razor, and will be working through the mods to fit to my car. This will include creating some space and fabbing mounts for the TB alky tank, and finding a suitable location to mount the pump.

I'll also be covering the necessary upgrades, such as the feed for the electric fuel pump directly from the alternator (hot wire kit), new u-joints for the stock 1964 driveshaft, adjustable FPR (already installed), new injectors, and re-burning the chip via @Eric Stage I .

Initially, I will be running the stock turbo and IC, but will likely upgrade to a better turbo and (at a minimum) use ArizonaGN to modify the stock IC. My goal is to have a car capable of 12 flat-ish, or high 11s with some careful tuning. That means 450hp or so goal, so nothing crazy.
 

Tim_D

Active Member
Stage 1 of the methanol update included adding an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, as well as installing a 3" downpipe + adjustable boost pressure valve.

The regulator installation was straightforward. The downpipe required a little more engineering (ie - a big freaking hammer). I purchased an external WG downpipe from another user on this board. It looks to me to be possibly an older model GN1 style. The boost valve is from Lorenz Racing & Performance.

The downpipe required a few mods, including:
  1. providing some clearance on the pipe in the area of the upper control arm rearward mount,
  2. providing some clearance to the frame, and
  3. opening up the WG hole in the pipe flange to the size of the SCE gasket to ensure good flow
The finished installation looks pretty clean. See images below. The boost runs rock steady at 15psi currently, with the ability to increase boost via the valve, once the alky is installed.



 
Top