build a 200-4R for 1,000 HP

Kolenes never impressed me much. I'm interested in other opinions. Not so much about what they're supposed to do, you know, the marketing hype, but more interested in the experiences with the product. Was there a particular situation where the Kolene showed a marked improvement over a regular steel in a high performance application? A situation where you said to yourself, "Huh. There is something to these plates."?

kolene coatings are are process of salt bath nitrocarbuerizing,a complicated process that in my opinion has no benefit at all on steel plates in a clutch pack.its said to toughen the steel.i dont think toughening the steel with barriers improves thermal conductivity and may therefore reduce performance.the sad thing is when rockwell testing these kolene steels most of them werent any toughher and made me suspect a fancy ,cheap black oxide coating was a cover up for an untreated part sold at a higher price.obviously there is some merit to the process but i dont see it.i like stock steels and in many applications stock or hi energy frictions.i do feel that crosshatching new steels with a whetstone that go in the high drum does improve shift quality ,and also improves steel flatness beyond the capabilities of the stamping machine.10 years ago i read the raybestos info about leaving the steels alone.if the clutches were that sensitive the wear particles in the oil would rip the clutches apart long before the surface condition of the steels would.i do however believe in controlled surface conditioning of new steels with a whetstone and never with the violence of a roloc disxc.always whetstone your pressure plates as well.once agasin that raybestos claim is an attempt imo to sell steels.i never reuse old steels except on freshen ups,

They are

Hey could you throw and forward drum shaft and input in that machine and let us know what they are to. :cool:

Drum roll please:

Main input shaft is SAE 5140

Forward drum shaft (intermediate shaft) is 15-B-41H it's a boron hardened steel.

Nope!

i was told the forward drum shaft was 8620

The make up is as follows for the foward drum shaft:

Fe% = 97.65
C= 0.46
Mn= 1.28
P = 0.015
S= 0.017
Si= 0.23
Ni= 0.06
Cr= 0.10
Mo= 0.03
Cu= 0.067
Al= 0.031
B= 0.0007
Pb= 0.001
Sn= 0.005
Co= 0.006
V= 0.002
W= 0.005
Ca= 0.000
Ti= 0.039
Zr= 0.006
Nb= 0.000

The tell tale sign that it's 15-B-41H, is the level of contents of Carbon (C=0.46), Manganeese (Mn=1.28), Silicon (Si=0.23), Boron (B=0.0007) and Titanium (Ti=0.039).

You guys cut Don some slack. The knowledge he brings to the table is near the top of the people on this board. He is an asset to our dwindling community.

I always learn something from him..... as well as you Bison... and you Chris...

You guys... all of you are what makes our community special!

Keep the flow of knowledge and questions coming.

You guys cut Don some slack. The knowledge he brings to the table is near the top of the people on this board. He is an asset to our dwindling community.

I always learn something from him..... as well as you Bison... and you Chris...

You guys... all of you are what makes our community special!

Keep the flow of knowledge and questions coming.

Im just a ball buster:biggrin:

Don might be able to:biggrin:

And if I did, you'd pay attention, wouldn't ya?

I'll take your word for it. I'm a rookie at metallurgy. I do have some references, but I really don't want to look it up. You guys burned me out.

This thread has almost motivated me to start pulling the Regal donor apart to make more progress on the El Camino.

I need to drop the transmission pan before hand, I'm pretty sure I tossed the governor spring.

Awesome thread.

Some of the top Tranny guys in North America Talking Shop.

I think we need another TH400 thread :biggrin: