build a 200-4R for 1,000 HP

LSJM1

Man Art Carr still loves his 200-4Rs he's even hugging one in his article in car craft.I'm asking the builders here how many 200s do they know of living behind 1000hp motors.Maybe if you mostly cruise to car shows like the blown big block chevelle that they mention in the article with an occasional blast down the track?

I was thinking the same thing.... I sure would like to put one of his next two a couple of mine just to see:biggrin:

well Ill save ya the time and aggravation to do your comparison.. RESULTS..

"Oh Sir we have NEVER had a tranny explode like that before" :p

X2

"Oh Sir we have NEVER had a tranny explode like that before" :p[/QUOTE]

"It must have been something YOU did wrong, when installing it.":)

I would think with all of the parts CK makes that a trans could live at that power level without exploding. But, I don't think that there is enough clutch surface to make a lot of passes without it slipping. But with that kind of power the 200r4 would be a poor choice.

There is no doubt that the billet parts can handle it.The problem is the direct clutch.However ,I do have the 10 clutch drum prototypes.This along with the billet output ,and 30 spline ring gear and forward drum and we will be real close to that.Ijust need time to run the drums on the cnc lathe.I think the next real problem is going to be the planetary pinion washers.they are already overloading at 600 hp.

The last time I took the time to calculate the difference in friction surface area between a 400 6 friction pack and a 200-4R 9 friction pack, the 200-4R had 23 percent less area. I doubt a 10 pack will make a big enough dent in that difference. You're going to have to work on increasing the ID and/or OD of the friction area, not just the number of plates.

I hear you don,however we are dual feeding ,using a billet aluminum piston and using .091"thick steels.when dual feeding your not too far behind the 400.if I put the 078"in i can get another disc.

I hear you don,however we are dual feeding ,using a billet aluminum piston and using .091"thick steels.when dual feeding your not too far behind the 400.if I put the 078"in i can get another disc.

I cant wait to get my hands on one of those drums:biggrin: Ill need an output shaft too. I dont think direct will be much of a problem with the recent developments and hydraulic mods that have come about in the last year. The aluminum piston eliminates the distortion of the bottom steels and helps a bunch. With the dual feed, other hydraulic mods, piston and more clutches/steels it should be interesting.

We thought about putting a 200 in Chris Lyons TSO car to see if we could get a 8.50 on it. We might actually do it this year. If CK Chris gets the output shaft done we might run the 200 in the TSM car. Last 9.50 car we had 200 in was twisting the output like a candy cane. Everything else was hanging in there.

No way possible. I am going to e-mail Art Carr and see how much this trans is and what the warranty is:)

Man Art Carr still loves his 200-4Rs he's even hugging one in his article in car craft.I'm asking the builders here how many 200s do they know of living behind 1000hp motors.Maybe if you mostly cruise to car shows like the blown big block chevelle that they mention in the article with an occasional blast down the track?

What Car Craft Issue was this?? Thanks.