Buick V6 rocker arm modification

gdouaire

I never liked the nylon buttons/retainers on the stock rocker arms. They are ok, but...

So I proceeded with the below modifications. Done on a spare arm from my 1977 engine. Tap 5/16 threads for a hollow hex bolt.

Thoughts?

The shim is offcentered because I lacked some patience for this proof of concept :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1387415521451.jpg
    1387415521451.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 1387415540456.jpg
    1387415540456.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 1387415552619.jpg
    1387415552619.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 453
Someone else did something like this before, and used a nylon washer to keep the arms centered. Seems to work better than the buttons do.

That's different. The Buick V6 didn't exist before 1986 . :D

I know I was high most of the time back then, but I do remember the afros and it's hazy but I think buick even had a V6.

Don't quote me on that I maybe having flashbacks.:zombie:

I think Earl is referring to the year he was born.

AH 1986. Hair bands, GN's on the showroom floor and women who had holsters for their hair spray.

It's all coming back to me now.

Not me... but I do have a few co-stars from that era
nudgenudgewinkwink.gif

I do remember a friend and her 'Bold Hold' hairspray. We poured some on the driveway once and set fire to it. It actually altered the concrete.

I do remember a friend and her 'Bold Hold' hairspray. We poured some on the driveway once and set fire to it. It actually altered the concrete.

I was to busy altering my mind, although I did alter a few women to.

Get with the program Earl, AQUANET was the preferred hairspray back in the day.

You're to muckin fuch EARL!!!

Give em a break they were lookin for Nothin' But a Good Time

Yeah, I loved 8 tracks back in the day, sometimes I would have a dozen or more tracks a night.

Uhhhh, I mean would listen to a dozen or more tracks a night.:confused:

Back to the matter at hand... I'd hate to try and run a tap through my TA Performance HD shafts! Not to mention that cutting threads in the shafts may induce stress risers that will eventually cause fractures.

Back to the matter at hand... I'd hate to try and run a tap through my TA Performance HD shafts! Not to mention that cutting threads in the shafts may induce stress risers that will eventually cause fractures.

The threads are parallel to the surface of the shaft - if they were perpendicular, I would maybe agree for the fractures - then again, when you see a crack in a piece of metal, the best way to stop its progression is to drill a round hole at the end of the crack. The crack stops there as the constraint is distributed accross the circumference of the hole. So what would be the likelyhood of seeing a crack originating from a round hole? I think my statement has the potential of starting a controversy :)

Anyways, the more I look at what I'm doing with these rockers/shafts, the more I see this as being something I want to do, but not something I need to do. :)

I've been thinking about a better way to locate the rockers ever since I broke a couple tabs on the way to a stripping establishment.

Then I keep reminding myself that the tabs lasted 200.000 miles before one of them gave up.

that being said, I still have the print I made for solid shafts with shoulder bolts and locating UHMW retainers. ")

Would bronze locators be ok instead of UHMW/plastic? Thinking that it would produce less grinding/metal dust in the oil...

Pretty sure plastic will make less metal than using metal. I never bothered to check and make sure UHMW would last under crankcase conditions. so that might not be the right composite material to start with.