Buick V-6, oddfire, turbo and TBI

gdouaire

I bought an oddfire V-6 that was in a 1977 Pontiac Sunbird.

Currently, I'm taking apart the engine. The engine will be built and tested on a stand, before I install it in my 1984 Cutlass 4-door.

This is the goal : Buick V-6, oddfire, turbo and TBI.

Some details :

* GM 454 TBI
* Holley intake
* SpeedDaddy Headers/Turbo
* Megasquirt II
* ESC HEI adapted to oddfire ( if feasible)
* Turbocycle Isky camshaft
* Ported heads
* Oil passage enlarged in block
* 0.030" over block
* OEM pistons, rods
* High volume / high pressure oil pump
* 1987 oil pickup (larger size)

With a TBI taken from a 454 engine, in theory I can go at almost 15 PSI boost. Will probably keep it lower.

First 3 steps performed on an engine stand.

1) Megasquirt, normally aspirated TBI, OEM oddfire HEI
2) Megasquirt, normally aspirated TBI, ESC oddfire HEI
3) Megasquirt, Turbo TBI, ESC oddfire HEI

Then, once the engine runs reasonably well, implant the engine in my 1984 Cutlass. The car will run a Monte Carlo SS 200-4R and 3.73 gears. The car already has GN OEM suspension on four corners, and the GN steering box also. The 3.73 diff I have also has disk brakes. The car will run on Pontiac Rallye II 15"s with 235 on four corners.

Identified the injectors on my 454 TBI as GM 5235231 * RPD, so these are 90 pounds per hour. Using 2 of them, should be good for a bit below 300hp.

1388025994607.jpg

Reading the Megasquirt documentation. My MS2 kit is still in the mail. Reading beforehand is a must!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Since your using the tbi unit are you planning in using a aftermarket fuel pressure rev or the stock one. if using the stock one it must be modded to be able to boost reference it so the delta stays the same .

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Correct. There used to be GM #17113186 for that, but it's discontinued. Maybe it's a case of DIY.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Attached - TBI, spacer and intake. This looks like a monstrous setup. Very tall.

1388103440820.jpg

Last edited:
And playing with the IAC, the TPS and the fuel regulator.

The IAC looks good by the resistance of the coils; and so does the TPS.

As for the regulator, it will need a new diaphragm, a new spring, some form of vacuum/boost referencing mechanism AND the removal of the lead drop GM put to keep us from adjusting the regulator.

1388107401842.jpg
1388107415566.jpg

Got this in the mail - an V6 oddfire "pole piece", e.g. a HEI distributor reluctor. Notice how assymetrical this is.
1388790734242.jpg

Last edited:
Got the megasquirt goodies. Will start with the relay board, because it is simpler than the ECM itself.

Picture here are the parts for the relay board.

1389055176394.jpg

Last edited:
Mind if I ask, why you went with Megasquirt II instead of MS3?

3 reasons -

1) MSII has all the features I need
2) budget has spoken and
3) MSIII looks more difficult to assemble (but I may be wrong)

Getting an ecu to aggree with multi angle crank triggering will be the hard part as referance angle will be different for 3 cylinders .you may have to go conventional mechanical advance with boost referanced vacum advance unit and just use ecu for fueling

Sent from my C8660 using Tapatalk 2

Getting an ecu to aggree with multi angle crank triggering will be the hard part as referance angle will be different for 3 cylinders .you may have to go conventional mechanical advance with boost referanced vacum advance unit and just use ecu for fueling

For ignition control, I will use a standalone unit - ESC - Electronic Spark Control that was used on the hot air Turbos. It has a knock sensor and a "brain" to control spark advance.

This is an interesting document regarding such application:

http://www.beforeblack.net/knock.htm

Last edited:
Relay unit done. The kit is well put together. Was rusty in terms of soldering :)

1389382108572.jpg

Last edited:
And now the "Megastim" unit. This is the v2.21. Well done. I would have liked to have a socket for the AD654 chip, instead of having to solder it directly on the board. I also had trouble soldering the transistor. It took me a lot of time. Worried that I might have fried that one.

1389391321184.jpg

1389664586437.jpg

This is the main board.

Instead of soldering the chips directly on the board, I used DIP sockets. Tedious work. I'm under the impression that my soldering iron is already not working all that well... Time to change the tip, already??

Last edited:
In parallel, working to convert this ajustable FPR for TBI into something that is boost referenced

1389998689477.jpg

Last edited: