Buick should change directions

85supreme

I think Buick trying to revive the GN and GNX is a good thing, but there doing it wrong. No performance car should ever be FWD. AWD maybe, but we all know RWD is what makes performance cars.

The engine they are currently using in the Turbo buicks is decent and makes good power for a 4cyl.

I wouldnt be against the idea of a force fed LS for the next generation turbo buicks, but wait, you would definitely need a RWD car for that. Which is why Buick should change directions to this.

di-0131644309813.jpg

The G8 died with pontiac, but is being revived as a chevy caprice. Now tell you wouldn't be in favor of Buick turning this into the next all black super fast turbo regal that is RWD.

This is just my opinion/dream because I feel slapping GN and GNX emblems on the current TR would just be a disgrace.

What do you guys think?

Should they make it rwd? Yes. Will they? No. The best we could hope for is an awd evo/sit killer

GM should leave it alone..the GN died in 87..leave it...we dont need another GTO/Charger/Challenger Failure.

........ Which is why Buick should change directions to this.
........................................What do you guys think?

Buick HAS changed directions, they are more concerned about the market in China where there are investing LOTS of $$$$$$$$$, not so much in the US. :mad:

I think Buick trying to revive the GN and GNX is a good thing, but there doing it wrong. No performance car should ever be FWD. AWD maybe, but we all know RWD is what makes performance cars.

The engine they are currently using in the Turbo buicks is decent and makes good power for a 4cyl.

I wouldnt be against the idea of a force fed LS for the next generation turbo buicks, but wait, you would definitely need a RWD car for that. Which is why Buick should change directions to this.

di-0131644309813.jpg

The G8 died with pontiac, but is being revived as a chevy caprice. Now tell you wouldn't be in favor of Buick turning this into the next all black super fast turbo regal that is RWD.

This is just my opinion/dream because I feel slapping GN and GNX emblems on the current TR would just be a disgrace.

What do you guys think?

My 7 year old son saw this picture and said "That's a Grand National?" I explained it was somebody's idea of what a new one could be like...He said "no, but maybe if it was AWD like a WRX STI...that would be kinda cool. Better too (than a WRX)."

Here in Birmingham and probably the South ftm, there is no advertisement for any Buicks. Its a dead brand here. All they buy here is a chev/ford truck or something foreign.

From what ive been reading chevy is bringing back the G8 and calling it the SS it will be the consumer version of the caprice ppv cop car......The regal is up for a redesign and rumor is they will be using the g8 platform....Does anyone know if they can use the same platform and make a coupe? Also Look at the CTS It can be had front or all wheel drive for the masses but you can get the v8 rear drive ls CTS-V in the same car...plus they make a coupe, sedan and wagon....So if buick follows suit there may be hope yet......

That picture in the insideline link... gotta say a few things about it. That hood is whack. The idea that a ls v8 is a possibility is for a new gnx, disgraceful.

Gotta say though, from what I have gathered about the GN's, the TR's and the GNX from the 80's is that is was made to be the fastest car on the road and be able to keep up with luxury high end european cars of the era. Frankly, they should do the same. Instead of target high end luxury cars today that fetch well over $150k, they should target the high end performance cars that range from $60k all the way up to $150k. Maybe some of you can tell what car I'm thinking of, maybe not. Go after the GT-R. Its a car that doesn't have the huge motor like a lambo or ferrari or any of them, but sure can kick their ass on the road. Mimic that car. They don't necessarily need to get the handling as great as it (would be awesome if they did) but get a twin turbo v6 as the GNX. Then take that same GNX drop a single turbo in it and call it a Grand National. Just my $0.02.

Hopefully, someone here shares the same idea.

P.S.- My idea of bringing back a legend is to make it as good as it was back in the day or make it better and more crazier than it before.

I actually like the look of it and general idea although a few things could be changed.

Offer it in 2 door versions only like back in the 80's

The GNX shouldn't be a v8 since it wasn't made that way to begin with. We all know turbo v6's are faster than NA v8's anyway.

If you are going to make a GNX it should be a base GN that's sent to one of today's top specialty aftermarket shops for improvements to separate it for standard GN's just like the original GNX was just a GN that was sent to ASC.

I actually like the look of it and general idea although a few things could be changed.

Offer it in 2 door versions only like back in the 80's

The GNX shouldn't be a v8 since it wasn't made that way to begin with. We all know turbo v6's are faster than NA v8's anyway.

If you are going to make a GNX it should be a base GN that's sent to one of today's top specialty aftermarket shops for improvements to separate it for standard GN's just like the original GNX was just a GN that was sent to ASC.
You got a point there. Question is which shop? Maybe Hennessy?

I like the looks of the car. I'd like to see GM build it. I might even buy one if it will whoop-ass on my little brothers '12 300 SRT-8. BUT,it shouldn't be called a Grand National. Leave the legendary name alone.

Maybe call it a GN-R. Not a Grand National or GNX,please.

I like the current TR/GS as a high quality German import, but numbers must be dismal as I NEVER see them on the road. If I had money to burn I'd test drive and maybe buy one as a daily car for lux and fuel economy, but I quickly get tired of front drive and the stick and clutch replacement issue in a front drive car is in the same category as timing belts for me. No thanks. Alternatively, the Holden G8 is a well built platform as a dream list item. I'd like not to have a resissue GN GNX as the GTO reissue left a cloud of disapointment in styling camps.

Most of the new regals I see around my area are turbo models but have never seen a GS on the road. I don't mind the looks of the GS, I just wish it was on a rwd platform.

They should combine the cts coupe and g8/gto, and rwd single turbo 6 for a gn and turbo regal, then a twin turbo 6 for a gnx. Personally i rather then not come out with a gnx and ruin the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick