Buick setting for over 10 years

coldair

Hi
I am not sure if I am posting in the right spot or not however I need some solid advise. I recently bought a 86 GN that has been setting for about 10 years, the fuel tank is about 1/2-3/4 full, I did get it started and found the valve covers are leaking, the transmission appears to be leaking out the frt seal----no mice couldn't hardly beleive that:) but anyway I need some advise other than draining the tank ect I have a friend that had a TA that set for a long time and the buick dealer claimed that the fuel log was plugged fro the old gas? I anyone can please give me some ideas as what to do I would surley apprecaite it.
Thanks
coldair

Take it slow

Hi
I am not sure if I am posting in the right spot or not however I need some solid advise. I recently bought a 86 GN that has been setting for about 10 years, the fuel tank is about 1/2-3/4 full, I did get it started and found the valve covers are leaking, the transmission appears to be leaking out the frt seal----no mice couldn't hardly beleive that:) but anyway I need some advise other than draining the tank ect I have a friend that had a TA that set for a long time and the buick dealer claimed that the fuel log was plugged fro the old gas? I anyone can please give me some ideas as what to do I would surley apprecaite it.
Thanks
coldair

Change every fluid and all the vacuum lines. Inspect the brakes well before driving. Install a new fuel pump and adjustable regulator. Turbo Tweak chip.

Learn everything you can about the car and get it running right stock before changing too much.

Ohh, and watch for pieces of acorn flying out of the vents when you turn the fan on. :eek: That one got me. :)

Agree with Heg 100%. When a car sits, all the seals and gaskets usually need to be changed once it is put back into commission. Drain the tank, maybe have it flushed, dipped, coated, whatever they do nowadays, and run the best injector cleaner you can through it for a few tanks. If you are still worried, pull the injectors and have them flowed and cleaned to be sure.

I used to work for a Yamaha dealer, I would add Yamaha carb cleaner to anything that sat that long. since we know it runs just add a little to fresh gas it eat the varnish in tank, lines and injectors, after about 15 minutes it would idle better and run better over all.

but X3 on all the above

Primed

You might want to prime the oil pump as the oil pump will lose prime sitting that long. Plus you want oil on the bearings, lifters pumped and turbo charger oiled.

You might want to prime the oil pump as the oil pump will lose prime sitting that long. Plus you want oil on the bearings, lifters pumped and turbo charger oiled.

Ooh, totally missed/forgot that... Very good call!

Add 1/3 Xylene or Toulene to the freah gas & that will clean all the crud out. Then change filter & pump sock at minimum (if not a new upgraded pump) get the injectors cleaned or just buy a new set with a chip deal from Eric at TurboTweak Home plus what everone else added. The dirt has to go somewhere so filters are a must. Xylene not only cleans well but turns the gas into 100 octane.
Do lots of reading at Vortex Buicks & take it very easy for the first few hunded miles to be sure everything like Brakes work properly. Speaking of brakes, I would also inspect & clean them up right away.

....... I did get it started and found the valve covers are leaking, the transmission appears to be leaking out the frt seal----.........

My opinion is if you have it running, just drive it a short while before you do anything but a gas additive to help clean the fuel system.

You do not say anything about the storage climate, or the miles on the car which make it difficult to make recommendations. :confused:

As far as the valve cover leak, tighten the bolts and see if that fixes the problem.

It is not uncommon for a trans front seal to leak when sitting a long time, but this does not mean it needs replacement.

A major concern would be the radiator because if it has been sitting for 10 years with antifreeze, good chance it is done, as most of the tubes are probably plugged.

Depending on the mileage, other gaskets, vac lines and such may be fine.

I have dealt with many low mileage and long term stored turbo Buicks including my 9K mile car, and they hold up remarkably well over time. :)

agree with all above, check everything all the basic stuff, wheel bearings, pads, change all fluids, vac lines. If the tires have been sitting also, they could are most likely have flat spots or just dry rot(not good doing highway speeds or any really) Fresh tune up:cool:

My car hadn't been started in 3 years due to rusty tank taking out fuel pumps and it only had a couple hundred miles put on it the 17 years prior. I've put 45k miles on it over the last 4 years with just fluid changes and normal maintenance. These cars do store well...

I picked up an 87 Turbo-T that has been sitting for the last 7 years. The tank was 3/4 full and the fuel pump was shot. I drained 7 gallons out of the tank, installed new fuel pump and strainer, fuel filter, rubber fuel lines, and new spark plugs to get the car running.

Invest in a Scanmaster so you can see where the throttle position sensor is set (reset procedure on Turbo Regal Web Site) , engine temp, rich-lean conditions, alternator charging volts, trouble codes, etc.

good luck bringing another one back from the edge.