Buddy Cox GNX

mjdwyer23

Woosh WaGoN
Anybody have information on Buddy/his GNX? I heard something about it a while ago and wanted to get some more info. Thanks!

I've never seen Buddy Cox's GNX #187 in person, but I have it on several VHS cassettes recorded at Englishtown, NJ during the 80's -90's...I think that on one of the tapes, there was an advertisement in the back window...("AVC"...or something like that...not 100% sure though...) :rolleyes: . If I remember correctly, the car ran mid to low 10's...but not sure...I'd have to watch the tapes again to be sure! :wink:
I think I read a while ago that he stills owns the car.

Claude :)

Here are a couple scans from pictures where Buddy Cox's GNX caught on fire at the Nationals in the early 90's. I think it was a loose trans line that caused this but at the time it was pretty dramatic but it looks worse in the photo than it was. I remember this incident because I was the 1st car in the staging lanes and they pushed his car in front of mine as they sprayed it with fire extinguishers.:eek:

I have several photos and that GNX had tubbed wheel wells, giant slicks... it was almost an all-out race car and his dial-in for the Super 16 back then was 10.68.

Attachments

• GNXfire.jpg
    GNXfire.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,850
  • GNX2.jpg
    GNX2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,871
I have his original GNX motor sitting here. Suppose to have less then 1,000 miles on it. Yes I also have the Turbo as well.
I sold his rear suspension that is in MD.
I sold His wheels & tires are on GNX #001.

I have his original GNX motor sitting here. Suppose to have less then 1,000 miles on it. Yes I also have the Turbo as well.

Brian, do you know whatever became of the car itself?...Does Buddy still owns it?
thanks,

Claude :)

I have his original GNX motor sitting here. Suppose to have less then 1,000 miles on it......

1000 miles divided by 1/4 mile = 4,000 runs :) We've been going to the Nationals for 20 years and even back then when we saw that race car, we wondered why would you do that to a GNX :frown: .

Paul

I remember that car at Englishtown. By then it had a Duttweiler Twin Turbo motor. He carried the front left wheel about 2"-3" above the ground 'til 1/2 track and when it touched down, a puff of smoke came from the front tire. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

FWIW a guy came on the MAGNA board that was supposed to be a good buddy of Buddy. :D He told me through a PM that Buddy still owns the car and it is still in Salisbury MD. I thought I saved the PM, but I can't find it.

EDIT: Found the link Gnx For Sale - TurboBuicks.com . They were selling Buddy's son's GNX. It is from 05.

I remember that car very well,Nice freindly guy & let me just say that they had their own way of doing things. I was one of his pit crew the year that the Nat's were held in Ohio,I flew out to spectate went over to say hello & they put me to work.I also had an 8 second TT regal that I campaigned around that time. Those were interesting years for Buick. Glad I was around to be a part of it. How many of you remember Buddy Ingersols Regal he's the one that made history in the mid 80's & got kicked out of pro stock under protest for going too fast using early technology without the benefit of EFI.& computers. Was sponsored by Buick using Indy car technology of its time.

Lou

friend of mine lives 2 doors from Buddy,
has told me Buddy still has a turbo buick, but not sure which one.
he is very quiet these days, and doesn't open the garage much anymore.

Looking for Geo. Poe

Would anyone know of a fellow by the name of George Poe, at one time he was living in either La. or Mississippi, years ago he was with Smith Bro's when they race a GNX
Thanks

was that the TT duttweiler car? He used to race it at Hattiesburg if its the same guy.

Brian do you still have that GNX dash I sold you a few years back?

Buddy cox

Buddy Cox ran Bristol in 1999 and qualified 2nd. I ran him first round and he beat me. Didn't hear from him again and nothing to this day. By the way, he went on to win that race. It was the same year Dutwieller and Conley ran and Kenny ran the first 6 second passes with a turbo v-6

bob aka stgman

His qualifing time was 8.16 in the high 160mph range

1000 miles divided by 1/4 mile = 4,000 runs :) We've been going to the Nationals for 20 years and even back then when we saw that race car, we wondered why would you do that to a GNX :frown: .

Paul
Because he can. How many others did? Most collect dust in heated garages and are too scard to drive them anywhere.