bucking trend, looking for stock Hot Air turbocharger

jiho2

Sporadic Poster
As long as the housings are good and it can be rebuilt, that's good enough.

Anyone have one to sell me?

Are you interested in a unit requiring rebuild or a properly rebuild unit?

Anything BUT a properly rebuilt unit. :D

Used, either working or needing rebuilt. Even just the housings in sound condition would be fine. Something to use as a core would be fine. A running pull would be fine.

I don't want to spend a lot on it, though.

Someone in the hot air group shared a post of 2 hot air stock turbos for sale. Never used.

I believe that would be Anthony P. Interesting deal, but not really what I was looking to get into. And after more than a decade, I guess no one else was either. Sad.

Last edited:
I believe that would be Anthony P. Interesting deal, but not really what I was looking to get into. And after more than a decade, I guess no one else was either. Sad.

There is a lot more to the past 2 weeks-plus of 34 messages between jiho2 and me. I thought I was helping out a fellow TB enthusiast, but was just being played for a fool.

jiho2 agreed to buy a turbo from me but asked for more time, another month, to pay citing he is retired and on a fixed income. I said I can work with him and continued to provide insight to his situation of having a new imported CHRA but no housings, dealing with CA visual and smog inspection, using the 86-87 wastegate actuator on a hot air, etc. He shared how BRAD_PADGETT and O SO LO adapted the 86-87 actuator for hot air use but had questions about doing the same. I offered to pick up a stock actuator from Kirban (and a couple of turbo inlet and oil drain gaskets) from the open house next month and include them in the box with the turbo - save separate shipping costs, plus Kirban's usual 5% discount at the open house and gaskets from Pete Hoffman are a good deal, especially in person.

Then I read and learned that jiho2 was persuing a turbo from James Valez at the same time, from James' thread in the parts for sale section. When I called out jiho2 on this, he again confirmed his commitment to buy a turbo from me all the while continuing to hustle James Valez.

If this forum wants to read the dialog for themselves, tell me how to make the conversation public. I only see that I can invite 4 other members to view the conversation.

I am not actively selling parts. If I happen to see a post where someone is looking for a restoration-like quality part, I will try to help or at least share knowledge who might have parts for a daily driver, etc. I was not expecting someone to play the hustle that jiho2 did to both me and James Velez.

a couple of screen shots...
TB screenshot 1.png TB screenshot 2.pngTB screenshot 3.png

Jerryl, you were spot on in reading this guy and not getting involved.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as an "agreement" here. I told you up front I wasn't interested. We got into long exchanges on that and a lot of other topics. Then I thought maybe I should buy it, and we had some exchanges on wastegate actuators. In the end I bailed IN MY OWN INTERESTS.

I thought we were still on reasonable and friendly terms. Excuse me and GET OUT OF HERE!

Jerryl, you were spot on in reading this guy and not getting involved.

And what exactly was that reading? Care to share that?

I've been FISHING for something from the start. This is a problem? Look at post #3 above.

At one point I was thinking his stuff should be listed in a Sticky. I wouldn't advise that now.

Maybe our conversation should be made public. I actually saved the whole thing in an html file. There's a lot of interesting reading in there.

Not impressed with site management here.

In future, I guess I'll need a "no PMs" policy, unless I already know people and trust them to be decent and behave reasonably. But even then they can surprise you.