Bubbles in overflow container

Roc87

11 Second V6
I have a feeling I already know. Engine has ~900 miles. Haven't pushed it too hard, am extremely paranoid after having a rod bearing spin after 800 miles on previous "refresh".

Car drives great, its on e85, extremely responsive. Was getting some false knock since TA header was hitting passenger a-arm, so not knowing if it was real or false knock, I've been pretty easy on it. Saturday a buddy helped me swap upper a-arms for tubular ones. Before we even started there was a puddle of antifreeze under my overflow container (stainless hot rod type, because I used to run methanol inj) after we got the arms on, we take it around the block and that's when I get in it pretty good. Appears most all previous knock is false and at 23#, it shows 1° of retard since it seems I'm out of room with 80# injectors and the 6466 won't go any lower (yes, I ported wastegate hole before first start) I'm going to try a new radiator cap, but I have a feeling a HG already let go, since there was nearly 900 miles on the build and it never dumped antifreeze out overflow before. They're rjc bullet proof gaskets with ARP studs. No oil in puddles of antifreeze and oil looks fine. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I should add, the coolant temp has never been higher than 184°, and the last 500 miles or so, hasn't been higher than 170°

You can use the coolant test kit to determine if there are exhaust gasses in the coolant. The HG might not be sealing correctly. I cant remember about these RJCs but do they require a re-torque?

This is the test kit I am referring to:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-75500?seid=srese1&gclid=CIjh7dX2pskCFcKWgQodS08Npw
Thanks, going to try the cap today and pressurize the coolant system to see if it leaks down, and tomorrow when I return the pressure kit to O'Reillys I'll order one of those test kits. If it's a HG I'm done :cry:

Something seems off. I think 80lb would be fine for 6466 at 23#. What's the fuel pump? Alky? I could be wrong on all this but that could be reason there's no room...

He is on E85 but still should be ok with right pump

Clean and Fix the leak at the overflow first. Then check all your plugs. It could just be that the over flow tank is cracked and or leaking from somewhere.

Yeah, its on e85, never pushed it too hard cause the stock a-arm was 1/16" away from the TA headers causing all kinds of knock on scanmaster even at just 5#. Running the racetronix DP 340's and have verified second pump comes on at 15#. Overflow is a cylidrical stainless steel unit like you'd see on street rods, no way its cracked. Will pull plugs later tonight. Haven't checked compression yet

You could get 1* of knock retard at the shift . Do you have a power logger ?

Here's the plugs. Never removed plugs from an e85 cars so I don't know what they're supposed to look like? #2 (top right) seems wet compared to the rest

have the engine warm. Pull the plugs. Hook battery charger up....crank over 4 or so "poofs" take a reading. My guess is #2 is 75lb, others are 135-150

Yeah top right plug looks a little wet. That's where I would start with my compression test. You also mentioned you have studs on your heads. I have found from previouse builds sometimes the medium length studs require an extra washer to completely clamp on the head because the knurled part on the stud is too long and the nut bottoms out before completely clamping the head. It's worth a look.

definitely blown HG on 2, I'd venture to say it blew on the top side of the cylinder and made its way to the water jacket. Another point of reference. The plugs are UR5. I have been told that the UR5 are extended tip or something to that matter and can be causes of pre ign, or detonation. Person advised me to use YR5, this is the plug I will be using.