Breaking up, popping at around 14 lbs. Help!

dynoman

Mark , get a can of air from a computer store ( air duster / canned air ) turn it upside down and it will spray a very cold spray . It will chill down anything you spray it on . We use it on heat soaked PLC modules to check for over heating issues .

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Mark , get a can of air from a computer store ( air duster / canned air ) turn it upside down and it will spray a very cold spray . It will chill down anything you spray it on . We use it on heat soaked PLC modules to check for over heating issues .
Great idea!

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Have you ever considered maybe using a different type of ignition? Distributor or COP? It's a lot of work and definitely not cheap, but it beats using that cheap Chinese crap. Seems like those modules keep getting worse and worse. And, wouldn't waste my money on AcDelco parts, either. Also, thanks for the great parts and customer service. It's always a pleasure.
TR-6 is on the back burner!

vacuum 6

I have chuckers
I don't think its the cam sensor. However, easy way to check...while car is running and having the issue unplug it. Problems goes away its the cam sensor. My gut tells me the module or coil.

SS/GN

Check grounds,easy 5 minute check. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

ttypewhite

If the ignition module and coil pack check out, it could be the Alky PAAC controller. I had a very similar thing happen to me with mine, eventually it left me stranded and wouldn't start the car up and stay running. I cut the green wire going to my map sensor to illuminate that as a issue and the car started and drove perfectly. Bought a new PAC controller and it has been golden ever since.

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
If the ignition module and coil pack check out, it could be the Alky PAAC controller. I had a very similar thing happen to me with mine, eventually it left me stranded and wouldn't start the car up and stay running. I cut the green wire going to my map sensor to illuminate that as a issue and the car started and drove perfectly. Bought a new PAC controller and it has been golden ever since.
Interesting!

zapp240

replaced the coil, module. plug wires and spark plugs and got rid of my popping. those seem to solve the problem around 90% of the time from what your experiencing.

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Installed a Caspers ignition hot wire kit the other day. Drove to a car show about 45 minutes away and hit it hard a few times after driving for a while to heat things up and it ran normally. Only have boost at 18 lbs right now but it was popping before well before that.

GNONYX

After reading your posts and your sig. there is nothing mention about the alternator's output. Is it possible the output voltage is weak?

GNONYX

After doing a lot of maintenance replacement of welded both headers, both upper, and lower front and rear bushings, and also replaced both front and rear coil springs, I was having the same issue of the engine running with a slight miss or stumbling.
I removed the injectors clean them by making a homemade spray cleaning nozzle and a 9 volt battery, yes I know I should have send them to be professionally clean, but I figure if it still continues to miss then I would send them out to be professional clean. I also removed the ignition module and coil pack and found the coil pack ohms measurement was within specs., but the ignition module had a crack. My situation of the slight miss is when the engine was warming up it ran great, but once the temp reached, it started to give the slight miss.
Replaced with a new ignition module, and reinstalled the injectors the miss went away.

Attachments

• 20200504_152951.jpg
    20200504_152951.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 44

626gn

Installed a Caspers ignition hot wire kit the other day. Drove to a car show about 45 minutes away and hit it hard a few times after driving for a while to heat things up and it ran normally. Only have boost at 18 lbs right now but it was popping before well before that.
Just FYI if you also run a volt booster with the ignition hot wire kit. For whatever reason my car didn't like having both and started to fry my coil pack and/or module in months time. It was only after removing the ignition hot wire that my ignition problems stopped. Maybe it was just a coincidence but if you start killing coil packs or modules in short order then that might be a possible reason.

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
hot wire kit was put on after the problems started. I don't use a volt master. And for shits and giggles I just threw a TR-6 ignition on it. All good so far. Did a few quick hits with the powerlogger on but for some reason it freaked out and a bunch of error boxes cascaded down the screen. Always something. Have it installed on a Windows 10 tablet. Haven't used for a few years. Bill Gates says it needs to be updated but of course there is not enough storage on the tablet to do that. :rolleyes:

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
So other than the Powerlogger issue the popping is gone?

GNONYX

So what you're saying, you installed a Caspers Hot wire Kit and also installed a TR-6 ignition, and the problem went away?

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
That
So what you're saying, you installed a Caspers Hot wire Kit and also installed a TR-6 ignition, and the problem went away?
That's what I am saying. Actually went away after the hot wire kit but decided to go with the TR-6 anyway.