Brake upgrade using stock rims

GNbythebay

Recently my brakes have been really sketchy and they have been working when they want. I am in the market for new brakes. I wanna spend around 500-1000. What would be the best bang for the buck. Also I will be sticking with the stock gn rims.

Best bang for the buck? I would say Blazer brakes. I picked mine for a whooping $108, from a wrecked truck with 30,000 miles and had new pads installed.

Someone else posted his swap and he spent like $280 with new rotors, pads, and hubs.

It’s a good deal.

The Blazer brakes add nothing beyond the stockers in terms of stopping ability. I've done the math. The extra quarter inch of rotor diameter has almost no effect on the braking torque. If somebody swapped out to the Blazer spindle and suddenly everything was better, then their stock system was broken.

So the best bang for the buck is a properly put together stock system. New rotors, new calipers if yours are shot or corroded, quality pads, new flexible brake lines, and properly bled with good fluid. And make sure the drums are adjusted properly.

X2 Blazer brakes if your on a budget. I did this swap for reliability over the powermaster system after it gave out twice on me almost leaving me with no brakes to stop one day.

X2 Blazer brakes if your on a budget. I did this swap for reliability over the powermaster system after it gave out twice on me almost leaving me with no brakes to stop one day.

You're conflating rotors and calipers with the master cylinder.

I In my opinion, the dual piston calipers and rotors stopped my car better then the powermaster with stock calipers and rotors.

The Blazer brakes add nothing beyond the stockers in terms of stopping ability. I've done the math. The extra quarter inch of rotor diameter has almost no effect on the braking torque. If somebody swapped out to the Blazer spindle and suddenly everything was better, then their stock system was broken.

So the best bang for the buck is a properly put together stock system. New rotors, new calipers if yours are shot or corroded, quality pads, new flexible brake lines, and properly bled with good fluid. And make sure the drums are adjusted properly.

Agreed!! Despite the calipers there shit gain in Brake torque! The new components used in the system make the most difference. Those hubs are notorious for going out.

I really would like to know if the 140-12837 (6 piston 12.19” rotor) brakes would fit a GN wheel.

Thanks. I think your T wheels have more room in them (less negative offset) than the GN wheels.

On a side note, how do you like them?

ok here it is,what we found to work best.vented and drilled rotors with ceramic pads with synthetics fluid on braided stainless brake lines so there is no expansion as the fluid heats up also why sys fluid works better.the powermaster is kick ass with this combo.moving line pressure around can be done also but you must be carefull.after that the larger surface rotors and calipers to increase surface area clamping.

I really would like to know if the 140-12837 (6 piston 12.19” rotor) brakes would fit a GN wheel.
If you go to the Baer & Wilwood web sites there is a page for making a template to see if they will fit before buying . The Baer template is made to scale so it can be printed . The Wilwood template isn't to scale , but the measurements can be transferred to the Baer template . That is what I did to put the 12.1" rotors & 6 piston calipers on my 15x3.5 front wheels , it's close but they fit .
I did space the front out 1/4"for a little more clearance from the face of the caliper . These pics are with 2 different wheels and both fit
http://baer.com/site_images/Brake_System_Fitament.pdf
www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeKits/WCD_Drawings/WCD_dwg-Large/ds946_wcd-lg.jpg
DSCN0404.JPGDSCN0405.JPGDSCN0511.JPG

If you go to the Baer & Wilwood web sites there is a page for making a template to see if they will fit before buying . The Baer template is made to scale so it can be printed . The Wilwood template isn't to scale , but the measurements can be transferred to the Baer template . That is what I did to put the 12.1" rotors & 6 piston calipers on my 15x3.5 front wheels , it's close but they fit .
I did space the front out 1/4"for a little more clearance from the face of the caliper . These pics are with 2 different wheels and both fit
http://baer.com/site_images/Brake_System_Fitament.pdf
www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeKits/WCD_Drawings/WCD_dwg-Large/ds946_wcd-lg.jpg
View attachment 333347View attachment 333348View attachment 333349
very nice!but put some air in that front tire;)

That's 40psi !! Less than your turbo though !!