Brake Response of Hydroboost vs PM vs Vacuum

V6Turbo

Hi All,

I've swapped out to a Vacuum Boost. I can hold boost at launch.

However, it seems the response of vacuum is not as great as Power Master in that I seem to have to press harder to get the same brake response.

I'm thinking of converting to hydroboost. Will Hydroboost/Bosch allow me to get that same feeling/response as Power Master?

Thanks in advance.

Never had powermaster in my car but I do have a bosch hydroboost unit. The response is instantaneous. Definitely need to wear a seat belt with this one haha.

I had all three and my current hydroboost set up is by far the best. I liked the pm, but was unreliable, I hated the vacuum and the HB holds better and stops on a dime.

Check the pressure at the wheel cyl....Not likely to be so good. Mine was in the 7-800psi range. POOR response.
HB= 2100psi.

Folks, thanks for the quick responses.

Chuck Leeper and Turbonut85,

Which brand HB are you using? Pricey? Any vendor recommendation would be appreciated.

Thx...

Like others with Hydroboost have said, the stopping response and stopping power i see out of it on my car even with stock sized front discs and stock aluminum rear drums it whoas her down really quick. The other day i had to get on the brakes really quick and hard because the light had changed from yellow to red for a turn left lane i was in approaching the lights. Although it almost locked up the tires it got me from 40-45 mph down to stopped in a short distance, i did hear tire squeal the last maybe 3 to 4 feet cause there was paint lines the tires hit but i stopped short of the last painted line for the crosswalk. Wished i knew which Hydroboost it was, it was already on the car when i had bought her from the previous owner 4 years ago. It does have the metal reservoir on the master cylinder instead of plastic, so i'm not sure what it came off of and the previous owner i believe bought it already converted to Hydroboost so i can't answer what unit is on my 87 TR. You won't look back once you've gone Hydroboost, the pedal feel never fluxes and they are always there when you need them to be.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It does have the metal reservoir on the master cylinder instead of plastic, so i'm not sure what it came off of and the previous owner i believe bought it already converted to Hydroboost so i can't answer what unit is on my 87 TR.
Pix of it "could" help. We have some pretty sharp individuals on this forum. Sounds like an 84 setup.

We've bought 3 HB's from Elliott Sydnam, TX. His price is good, the service almost instant, and he'll answer all your ??'s.
Shoot him an email @ sterlingworth16@yahoo.com

I use the Wilwood 1.125" m/c, as suggested by Wilwood tech. I also use their prop valve. [I find it necessary when using tires that are different sizes than the car came with.]

As for stopping ability HB is the best, PM is second, Vac is third, as someone said above PM reliability is sketchy at best you gotta change fluid twice a year to keep it well, Vac is the weakest even if your car is pulling 19 in.hg but its the most reliable imo.

As for stopping ability HB is the best, PM is second, Vac is third, as someone said above PM reliability is sketchy at best you gotta change fluid twice a year to keep it well, Vac is the weakest even if your car is pulling 19 in.hg but its the most reliable imo.
What is unreliable about hydroboost?

Like others with Hydroboost have said, the stopping response and stopping power i see out of it on my car even with stock sized front discs and stock aluminum rear drums it whoas her down really quick. The other day i had to get on the brakes really quick and hard because the light had changed from yellow to red for a turn left lane i was in approaching the lights. Although it almost locked up the tires it got me from 40-45 mph down to stopped in a short distance, i did hear tire squeal the last maybe 3 to 4 feet cause there was paint lines the tires hit but i stopped short of the last painted line for the crosswalk. Wished i knew which Hydroboost it was, it was already on the car when i had bought her from the previous owner 4 years ago. It does have the metal reservoir on the master cylinder instead of plastic, so i'm not sure what it came off of and the previous owner i believe bought it already converted to Hydroboost so i can't answer what unit is on my 87 TR. You won't look back once you've gone Hydroboost, the pedal feel never fluxes and they are always there when you need them to be.

Unless you stall out, then you have almost zero brakes!!!

I have H/B on my diesel and it's a lot harder to stop when and if the H/B goes out, it feels like the good ole days of single cylinder non power M/C 's when the seal blows out.

Other than that they work great.

Last edited:

Ive noticed after multiple cars and 20+ years of owning them they fail without notice when they do fail, ive heard many horror storys from friends about failures, the brake light comes on simultaneously during initial falure in most cases, a chance most would not want to take, Don't get me wrong when they work they work great, I still have one in one of my cars but its always on my mind...

Sorry I was speaking about PM-powermasters in the above post which I thought you were asking about...

Ive noticed after multiple cars and 20+ years of owning them they fail without notice when they do fail, ive heard many horror storys from friends about failures, the brake light comes on simultaneously during initial falure in most cases, a chance most would not want to take, Don't get me wrong when they work they work great, I still have one in one of my cars but its always on my mind...
Are you referring to the HB or the PM?

I'm running the stock 84-85 style HB on both my cars. +/- $250 for the whole setup. There are other HB setups out there now (I converted both cars several years ago) one with the external accumulator would prolly be better....but ive never had an issue stopping the car....even if it stalls.

Outside of if the car isnt running or the power steering goes away from pump failure or the belt coming off is what i meant about the hydroboost were always there and the pedal wont go hard or soft on you.
Clearing up what i meant in my previous post in this thread.

The
Outside of if the car isnt running or the power steering goes away from pump failure or the belt coming off is what i meant about the hydroboost were always there and the pedal wont go hard or soft on you.
Clearing up what i meant in my previous post in this thread.

like vac just after boost, or PM after the fuse blows, etc.....each system has their faults....the topic of this thread is brake response.....not what if it fails.....