Brake light issues

pjnutt

Last summer I started having issues with my brake lights. After much reading, I thought the problem was my turn signal stalk. After replacing that the brake lights were working and I thought I was all good. After taking the car out of storage, the brake lights once again do not work. The third brake light does work. Can someone point me in the direction of what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Down on the arm of the brake pedal you will find the switch for the brake lights. If I remember correctly, the sides of the switch are ribbed, and just push into these aluminum "fingers." Sometimes, you only have to reseat the switch. It should be in enough that the switch is pressed while the pedal is the whole way up.

Yeah, that's not it, I replaced that first before the turn signal stalk, just double checked it for sanity sake. I assume it's a wire of some sort somewhere, I just need to know where to check.

You had not mentioned the turn signal switch replacement in your description. Are you confusing the stalk and the switch?? The turn signal switch assembly is the usual culprit in these situations.

Actually the culprit is usually the white wire first one in the harmonica looking connector on the bottom right side of the steering column.

It runs the main brake circuit, the 3rd light is on it's own wire and switch contact.

Check that white wire it usually gets pulled tight on that connector.

Easiest fix is to cut both sides off in and out of the connector and solder them together and shrink tube and tape them up.

The search feature should dig up some more data and perhaps a wiring diagram.

Pull off the bottom plastic fuse panel cover, and center lower vent on the drivers side and the multi-cavity connector should be visible.

I wanted to update this thread for anyone who runs into it in the future. I found the white wire and cut it out of the harmonica looking connector. I spliced the top and bottom them together and now have brake lights! Thanks for the info salvageV6.

Actually the culprit is usually the white wire first one in the harmonica looking connector on the bottom right side of the steering column.

It runs the main brake circuit, the 3rd light is on it's own wire and switch contact.

Check that white wire it usually gets pulled tight on that connector.

Easiest fix is to cut both sides off in and out of the connector and solder them together and shrink tube and tape them up.

The search feature should dig up some more data and perhaps a wiring diagram.

Pull off the bottom plastic fuse panel cover, and center lower vent on the drivers side and the multi-cavity connector should be visible.