BOV at part throttle?

The tornado cured my turbo slam or sneeze ,,ta ta ta on my 70 htq ,,,but I do not trust it and i am afraid it will come apart some time in the future and make a mess when it goes thru the turbo and anways it has no place in a race car to restrictive,,,,any one know what a ported shroud would cost ,,THANKS

8...10 psi at slight cruise or passing on highway

That's when mine did it, too. The Godzilla BOV helped, but it does it by bleeding away boost under conditions when it would normally surge. It's not optimal, but it works. When I nail the throttle it instantly closes.

One thing I hadn't considered through all of this is whether moving back to the stock wastegate arrangement would have fixed it. I don't have an electronic/electric boost controller (stock or otherwise) - just a bleeder.

I also had a lot of head work done to the car since I originally posted. Not sure if it would still be surging or not.

Jim

I was advised to install a shrouded cover and this would help ,this will be my next move if I can purchase one,,,,I HAVE TO GET RID OF THE TA TA TA POF OF TATA.:eek:

a shrouded cover should work great, in the past i have seen somewhat similar issues and this helped greatly. have you tried a gated boost controller? it may affect turbine speed in lower boost where the wastegate isnt open, im just not sure if it would be good or bad.

I will be ordering a shrouded compressor cover for my 70 hpq in the spring,as I believe this is the proper way to go to control turbo slam or what ever you want to call it

I will be ordering a shrouded compressor cover for my 70 hpq in the spring,as I believe this is the proper way to go to control turbo slam or what ever you want to call it

Yes. I got the Godzilla BOV to work, but it's bleeding boost away in order to stop the surge. At WOT the BOV is closed so I'm not losing anything. But, the right way to fix it is eliminate the surge at the source: the compressor.

Jim

my te-44 never had any surge until after the rebuild, but it just got new bearings and thrust plate. I had the turbo break in half (exhaust wheels broke off!! ) after only 500-100 miles. wondering if the surge caused it to fail.