Bought older block, can you interchange parts???

JC93Z

Hustonstreetracing.com
I bought an older block yesterday, I forgot to check the casting number. I just assumed it was the year the guy told me. Well I think I am in trouble now. Turns out the casting number is 25520040 whichs dates it back to 84' which is the hot air turbo motors.

Now my question is can I put on a newer lower intake, all newer brackets, and anything else I need to change?

Trust me lesson learned!!!:mad:

All of the newer stuff will bolt on, but remember the 85 and older engines have a slightly taller deck requiring a steel shim head gasket to give the correct compression. You will also have to drill the hole in the lifter valley for the turbo drain.
You might want to ditch that block and just buy a complete engine from Brian Weaver or one of the other guys on this board. It will save you a ton of money in the long run. TRUST ME ON THIS!

You could also weld a bung into the oil pan for the turbo oil drain line vs. doing what the turbo blocks originally had having the hot oil pour back into the lifter valley. Our local performance engine builder (S&S Auto who ran the 1st 5 second blown alcohol small block dragster) did this mod on a friend's 10.40@128mph (with iron heads/TE-63/55lbers) TType.

If you have all the intercooled parts already it will work. If you buy all the parts individually you are going to be eaten out of house and home with all the little things. As GNVAIR said...... Buy a complete '86-87 engine with the "109" block which is stronger to begin with than the '84-85 castings.

-GNX7

Guy's,

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is the fact that the '84 and older blocks have a 14 bolt oil pan configuration. So get yourself another oil pan and front cover too.

Neal