Bought a GM radio w CD/Bluetooth

erikelvis

Bought this fella for the T. I hope the stock brackets are behind the aftermarket radio that’s in there now.
D271615C-C8D9-4E6B-8414-95CBFDCBB1FC.jpeg

Where did you get it?

Those things are like finding a hens tooth these days. :)

I got one similar for a project from that same eBay guy. He is really a top notch seller, and delivers service with his sales. His stuff is nice, and guaranteed (that is assuming it is the same seller).

I hope it sounds ok. Has amp outs if I go that route. Any idea what speakers will work well with this set up?

I got the same radio. Change those knobs to GN knobs, they fit right on. Craig is a GREAT guy, honest and competent.

I got the same radio. Change those knobs to GN knobs, they fit right on. Craig is a GREAT guy, honest and competent.
I love the look of this radio. And of course it’s one of the most expensive ones you can look for. The seller supplies some modified silver knobs that I guess are shorter for this radio as the stock ones are said to stick out too much.

Went the same route.

Can I use this unit with the stock speakers, until I get new ones? The seller confirmed this head unit is designed for 4 ohm speakers all around, rather than the 8 / 10 ohm ones in our cars.

Planning to get some new speakers soon, just need to pick them and wait for shipping.

Went the same route.

Can I use this unit with the stock speakers, until I get new ones? The seller confirmed this head unit is designed for 4 ohm speakers all around, rather than the 8 / 10 ohm ones in our cars.

Planning to get some new speakers soon, just need to pick them and wait for shipping.
Yeah he told me the same. I planned on swapping the radio and speakers at the same time though. What modifications do you have to make to use 6x10’s in the rear?

I dig it. Looks great in there. What did you do for speakers?
I'm using the stock ones, for now.

Haven't really thought about it as I run an open dump and windows most of the time.. LOL

Looks like using stock speakers (4 ohm in the doors, 8 ohm in the front, 10 ohm in the rear) with this head unit (4 ohm all) won't damage anything. The speakers with higher resistance will just be quieter due to the lack of power driving them.

I'm fine with that until I grab a new set of speakers.

In case it's useful for others - here are the speaker options I used. Haven't finished the install but from what I can hear during testing it seems okay so far.

Rear speakers (6x9)Rockford Fosgate Prime R169X2
Rear adaptersAmerican International SA41069GM
Door speakersRockford Fosgate Prime R1525X2
Dash speakersBoss BRS35
Wiring adapters (if needed)Metra 72-4568

The rears fit nicely, even with the adapters. I was concerned about cross-bar support behind the rear seat, but no issues with my setup. This isn't a top-of-the-line build but meets my needs for a weekend cruiser. Haven't put in the doors yet, hopefully this weekend.

Figured I should update this.

Installed everything, new audio system works for me. Didn't end up needing any if those wiring adapters.

The door speakers are quieter than I thought they'd be, not sure if I need to change the stock wiring scheme to get more power to them with the new stereo.

Ultimately, replacing the 35 year old speakers with these was worth it!

Figured I should update this.

Installed everything, new audio system works for me. Didn't end up needing any if those wiring adapters.

The door speakers are quieter than I thought they'd be, not sure if I need to change the stock wiring scheme to get more power to them with the new stereo.

Ultimately, replacing the 35 year old speakers with these was worth it!
That’s good to hear. I’m trying to decide if I really need to go 6x9 in the rear or just for simplicity go with the 4x10’s. Somewhere down the line I plan on replacing the carpet and at that point may consider a small amp since it will be easier to run and hide all the wires.

The 6x9s I listed are just as simple to install as 4x10s. No fitment issues, no wiring issues.

Up to you which route you go.