Borg Warner turbo in a Turbo Buick!

Not that it would have helped your situation Nick, but I really wish cometic made 8 bolt head gaskets. You lose a good bit of sealing surface with the extra 6 holes.

It was a long, hot and busy summer, and very little was done on my project car. Some electrical issues were finally tracked down and fixed.

More tuning and testing indicated there was an engine issue that seemed to me to be a head gasket issue especially since the other head gasket was not changed last May?

Finally I had a chance for some track testing today, and wanted to baseline the car/engine/turbo even though I was satisified with limited street performance, but I wanted more data.

The first track pass was a "drive" down the track was a 12.6 run with a plug wire not connected, just laying on the plug.

Boost was set at 15 psi for the second pass, and it ran fairly well with a 11.07 @ 122 MPH, which would have been factored into the ten's, as the track is at 3000' altitude

Back in the pit, it seemed very obvious a head gasket finally gave up during that run?

Nick,

Glad to here that you are back where you belong. At the track with a Buick. I'm heading your way in a couple days. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Mike B.

Finally I had a chance for some track testing today, and wanted to baseline the car/engine/turbo even though I was satisified with limited street performance, but I wanted more data.

The first track pass was a "drive" down the track was a 12.6 run with a plug wire not connected, just laying on the plug.

Boost was set at 15 psi for the second pass, and it ran fairly well with a 11.07 @ 122 MPH, which would have been factored into the ten's, as the track is at 3000' altitude

Back in the pit, it seemed very obvious a head gasket finally gave up during that run?

11.0 @ 3,000' on 15 psi of boost with a hurt gasket. That's pretty respectable for a 57mm turbo that spools so quick and has great street manners due to it's lightweight Titanium Aluminide turbine wheel with ceramic ball bearings.

I look forward to hearing about what a clean pass at higher boost levels brings.

Best of luck and thanks for the update Nick.

Nick is with trans or foot brake. 11.7 at 15 pounds sound pretty good. How low you think it'll go at 25 pounds. Hope,you,fix it quick so you can crank it up and we can see what all the hype is about. Thanks for the info.

11.0 @ 3,000' on 15 psi of boost with a hurt gasket. That's pretty respectable for a 57mm turbo that spools so quick and has great street manners due to it's lightweight Titanium Aluminide turbine wheel with ceramic ball bearings.

I look forward to hearing about what a clean pass at higher boost levels brings.

Best of luck and thanks for the update Nick.

It’s a 57mm?

How'd you hurt the headgasket(s) ?

I wish I could give an accurate answer, but an opinion is the best I can do?

Over the summer I had various electrical issues and one of them was the fans working intermittent and did see 210-220 degrees water temp after a few test passes. With 100+ deg temps this certainly is certainly a major factor.

It was consuming about a quart of water after each test session, but never showing up in the oil?

After the first run at the track yesterday, the engine was hot again and the fans were not working. We then bypassed the relays for the next run.

I plan to eliminate the stock fan wiring/relays, and use a Casper's fan harness/relays with power and ground direct to the battery.

Over the summer I had various electrical issues and one of them was the fans working intermittent and did see 210-220 degrees water temp after a few test passes. With 100+ deg temps this certainly is certainly a major factor.

It was consuming about a quart of water after each test session, but never showing up in the oil?

After the first run at the track yesterday, the engine was hot again and the fans were not working. We then bypassed the relays for the next run.

I plan to eliminate the stock fan wiring/relays, and use a Casper's fan harness/relays with power and ground direct to the battery.

Nick, I hope you have better luck than I did. When I was bracket racing the car a couple years back I was going through a quart of water per run...nothing in the oil. Ended up being a cracked cylinder. Engine temp would come up...half a quart in the overflow bottle...the other half steam. Hope it's nothing more than a head gasket for you.

During the time the engine consumed water while cursing (no load)on the street / highway did the engine experience random knock?

It’s a 57mm?

Yes, Nick is running an EFR-7670 which has a compressor wheel inducer diameter of 57mm. The first two digits '76' refer to the compressor wheel OD, not to be confused with the inducer diameter.

See post #20 on this thread for further details on the nomenclature and sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

During the time the engine consumed water while cursing (no load)on the street / highway did the engine experience random knock?

Here is some additional info to ponder:

In Arizona, we have "flexfuel", not e-85 as it is e-54 which is used in this car, and has consumed many hours tuning for this difference.

My current logs show target A/F and actual A/F were very close and only off a few tenths for the entire RPM range.

No audible knock has never been heard, and no knock retard has been present.

The first blown head gasket happened with an e-85 tune, not e-56 which may be responsible for its demise?

The traction street and strip is awesome, and at WOT the 1/8 mile speed is 100 MPH which is too crazy to consider on the street.

John Norton [gnX405] is a project engineer a BW and has been very helpful in this project, and I want to provide performance numbers of the EFR turbo application on a GN.

We have verified a GN can run easily in the 10's with extremely fast response, maybe I will see a 9 sec. pass ultimately, even though in my case this is not a dedicated race car I am building, my objective is just to prove the high tech BW turbo is an excellent product!

Has the 3-bolt housing been developed/made available yet?

Is there a model that is best suited for mounting in the traditional Buick style?

What is the pricing?

Thank you.

Has the 3-bolt housing been developed/made available yet?

Is there a model that is best suited for mounting in the traditional Buick style?...........

We have installed a BW turbo with the custom 3 bolt exhaust housing on a GN.

A few details are being completed, like the cooling hoses, and we should have it running this week.

The headers which were on the car are the TA race version, and it has a RJC downpipe and also a RJC front mount intercooler.

HEAD GASKET.jpg
As I thought it would be:

Nick, is this a stock stroke 109 and what heads?

Production 4.1 block with 3.625" stroke, well ported SE heads, and a solid roller cam which shifts at 7000 RPM using a 200-R4 trans, 3600 NLU 10" converter!

This is our typical high 9 sec. street build. :)