Borg Warner turbo in a Turbo Buick!

May I ask why the Powerstroke IC was used?

After lots of research, I did my first Powerstroke installation for the race car as my thinking was it would work as well or better than any current FM available in 2007.

The core is thin but very large, I like the outlet/inlet positions in the middle of the end tanks for better air distribution and less chance of air "short circuiting" much of the core when both inlet/outlet are on the bottom. Also, cost is MUCH less expensive than any available off-the-shelf unit then or now!

The thin, but large core, allows lots of air passing over the fins for great heat transfer/removal, and provides more cooling [air flow] for the radiator.

Data logging proved how efficient this design and execution has proved itself.

Budget for our race cars is important for most grass-roots racers, and my current installation turned out for me to be about 1/3 the cost of a comparable unit available, even with custom made pipes and powder coating!

There is one downside in the manner we do our installation. The battery must be re-located as we modify the PS outlet/inlet pipes to point outboard so the core support is not modified and sections cut out for the pipes.

We then use 90 degree silicone hoses which allows the hoses/pipes into the engine compartment through the access behind the headlights.

Thank you for the reply.

By any chance do you have temperature & pressure sensors before & after the IC?

As far as relocating the battery... Probably a non-issue in the race car applications as it would most likely be trunk mounted anyway.

How does the over-all weight compare to say the RJC-325 FMIC?

Nick, I like the set-up. Hope to see more people lose that tunnel vision....the blinders when it comes to turbo options for GN's and understand there's something better then Precision..... I realize saying anything even remotely disparaging about Precision on this board is like heresy.....treason, but people have to open their eyes. Precision is not the answer. A question for you, why the internal waste gate? Is that the only configuration in the EFR series? Wouldn't the process be much easier using an external gate. Probably more money, but much better performance. More accurate and better boost control too. Even if Borg Warner doesn't do anything with the Buick housing who should care. Don't need a Buick housing to use a Borg Warner turbo on a GN. Easily the best out there....

Thank you for the reply.

By any chance do you have temperature & pressure sensors before & after the IC?.....................

I like to keep things simple and easy especially on my cars, and data is very important for performance and reliability, and when tuning, inlet air temp is an important parameter.

The back pressure number is not as important to me as is the actual boost PSI number.

When I can run high 9's at 16-18 PSI with a 70mm turbo, I have no concern about back pressure. On a pass like that with 80 degrees or so ambient air, my inlet air temp will be about 10 degrees less at the end of the run. I expect about the same numbers with the BW turbo set up which would be an easy low 10's in the street trim.

This car is not being built for drag strip competition, even though it will surprise some with rare track visits.

The performance goal is to be a fun, killer street street car, and able to embarrass the late model factory high $$$$$ "hot rods" at a cost which is a lot less! :)

Chris, I love the internal wastegate provision of the BW 4 bolt turbo! It comes with built-in wiring for simple and accurate remote boost control from a dash mounted controller.

The plan is to use a dash-mounted TurboSmart controller and under-hood solenoids which is a simple and rather inexpensive display and control unit.

This will be accomplished in the second phase of this on-going build, and will also post those results.

The internal gate design of the EFR turbos is far superior to anything we've been running. The gate/flapper is 75% the size of the turbine exducer. Makes for very fast and precise boost control.

Well, I did make a run around a few blocks at 6 psi and the response is great!

The plan is to do some tuning on the road this week including more boost.

Since i have both mechanical adjustment on the wastegate and a Turbosmart electronic boost control with a dash mounted display/control unit, we will proceed with caution. :)

Should have more info to post this week.

Subscribed. Love the D84 Limited too!
I have just finished my twin scroll borg warner turbo install the 8374 this thing is awsome only have it at 10 lbs boost at the moment a friend of mine drove it and said its dangerous will have to do some logs and retune the car special thanks goes to Paul Simmons for his help with the turbo bracket design also Reed at Works turbo also to Nick for his input will do some logs and report later here are pictures

Attachments

• P4130266.JPG
    P4130266.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 315
  • P4130267.JPG
    P4130267.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 302
  • P4140268.JPG
    P4140268.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 317
  • P4140269.JPG
    P4140269.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 314
Good work Paul! I told you the EFR would transform the car. The torque and response is incredible and addicting. I hope to have some dyno info on mine soon. I'm currently running 24 psi and it's just a tire roaster. Post up some more pics, I'd like to see the exhaust flange you made. Nick, where are you at? We need an update!

Well, I don't have set numbers but ran a modded gt500 that runs 126 mph in the 1/4 and easily ran away from him from a roll. Then ran a viper that runs 10.2 @ 138 and was behind by half a car at about 130 mph... these turbos are the best of both world's, make great power up top and give nothing up on spool up, driveability or torque down low.

............. Nick, where are you at? We need an update!

Well, last week we took one step forward, and 2 steps back? :(

Finally the car was ready for tuning, and my local good friend who is an excellent, experienced tuner spent 1/2 a day in the driveway and road testing, and had it performing great.

Drivability is excellent and the response/spool-up is fantastic.

BUT, then 2 issues surfaced, first the factory digital dash went crazy flashing numbers on the speedo and fuel gauge readings? Killing battery reset it for a while, so it is now at Casper's receiving an overhaul.

Second, the XFI displayed 11.9 volts, but the alt and battery was at 13.2 volts. I was not happy with that and ended all testing for the day.

Checked all the grounds and added a couple more, but only got it to 12.2 volts, and was not satisfied with that so I did lots of research, it had to be an issue at or under the dash in my thinking.

An old friend with 40 years as a GN line tech said it could be the ignition switch. So I spent $20 for a new switch, and damn if the interior and XFI voltage inside the car is now the same as the alt and battery!

The dash should be here soon, and we will go at it again! :)

Finally the engine compartment is complete!

The new inner fenders are awesome and really adds lots of class in my opinion.

The air filter is mounted below the inner fender.

I have a liking for chrome and polish, but keeping it nice under the hood requires constant attention. This time around I went for a stealth look with a "black wrinkle" theme.

Even though I decided not to go the twin scroll route, my choice was to use the smallest BW exhaust housing available for the 650 HP turbo, and I do not see how it could spool any faster?

My 2 local friends did hours of tuning, and both were also impressed with instant response and spool-up.

The converter is a 10" non-lock up at about 3600 stall, and response is the best I have ever experienced, street or strip.

BW1.JPG
BW2.JPG
BW3.JPG
BW4.JPG

Looking good Nick. Hope to see you out and about with it soon.

There's going to be a "No Prep" 1/8th mile night in Tucson on May 11th.

"Very Relaxed Tech". I had a ball there in March, that's when Dennis hurt the transmission we all did the 3 day turnaround on!

Well I'd like to see how it compares to the Precision 6262.....or any Precision for that matter..... Probably not even close.