Boost or Timing?

GNJoe86

Still Stockish
Ok so what is more benificial boost or timing. I'm thinking Max the timing out and run boost in the low 20's.... what do you guys think?

Thanks, Joe

If you're up to it figure out what boost you should run with your turbo to keep it in it's peak efficiency range and then run that boost and add timing. Otherwise you'll just have to play with it. If you have a smaller turbo you'll probably end up with lower boost and more timing to get your best times. If you're running a bigger turbo you'll probably end up with more boost and less aggressive timing. What's your combo? That info will help people to give you better advice. HTH james

Well my motor is stock unopened and I have a PT63E not sure what boost level to run that turbo in. It seemed to run faster with high boost and lower timing but I am scared to lift the head.

Boost doesn't lift heads, power lifts heads. Boost is a measurement taken in the intake. That's why someone running 9's with 20 psi of boost (low boost high cylinder pressure) will lift a head but I never worried about it with my old combo because stock turbo/heads, as high as 27 psi of boost out of stock turbo =low cylinder pressure. Well, low enough to not worry about lifting a head.

As far as you go I've never run that turbo but I would guess it would be pretty sweet around 27-29 psi. Then work on the timing. I would recomend setting a goal first that's reasonable for you to attain. Take your time and tune. Remember, broken parts are only cool after you've got new better parts. :biggrin:

I agree I had the car out last night with a ton of timing and like 21# of boost and it felt slow. I'm going to up the boost like you said and try putting in timing until a little knock shows up.