Boost gauge info

JamestownGNX

I just had my engine in my GNX totally rebuilt. It was rebuilt to stock specs with all stock parts. I also put on a brand new GM regular turbo. This was bought right from GM and was not a rebuild. It has an adjustable wastegate on it, and I would assume the wastegate was adjusted to stock, as it had a paint on the threads and nut. I had my friend adjust the cam senor and time the engine. It runs strong with no knocks. I took it out today for the first time in about a year, put 93 gas with an octane booster additive, also changed oil again and added ZDDP. The car does not seem to have the power of my other GNX which is also stock. Looking at the factory boost gauge it read about 10 in the red when acclerating and then 10-15 when I take my foot off the gas. It is also running hot to me, about 200-220 and under the hood is alot hotter than I remember. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I would ask the experts to chime in, but first thing I would check is the vacuum lines and the waste gate actuator adjustment. Of course, an engine rebuild will bring its own variables which will probably diminish over time.

That being said, I can tell a difference between mine as well and they are both stock. Rick Hunt has also commented on other threads about the variability in performance among them when new.

I just had my engine in my GNX totally rebuilt. It was rebuilt to stock specs with all stock parts. I also put on a brand new GM regular turbo. This was bought right from GM and was not a rebuild. It has an adjustable wastegate on it, and I would assume the wastegate was adjusted to stock, as it had a paint on the threads and nut. I had my friend adjust the cam senor and time the engine. It runs strong with no knocks. I took it out today for the first time in about a year, put 93 gas with an octane booster additive, also changed oil again and added ZDDP. The car does not seem to have the power of my other GNX which is also stock. Looking at the factory boost gauge it read about 10 in the red when acclerating and then 10-15 when I take my foot off the gas. It is also running hot to me, about 200-220 and under the hood is alot hotter than I remember. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

my first question is how did you get it built with "all stock parts" since most of them are long gone-------you must have done an awful lot of part searching-------there are lots of good aftermarket stock spec parts but few "oem stock parts"---------rebuilding one of these with parts that are available from GM will leave you with a lot of missing parts.............RC

Clarification

I should clarify, when I stated "all stock parts" I meant that it was rebuilt to stock factory specs. The shop used a complete rebuild kit. The engine was not bored. I notice now that my check engine light is on, which never used to happen. I think I have to find a good chip to use, as the original X chip was lost:mad: I am using a NOS chip that was in a box, but do not know anything about it. Any thoughts..

You need to get a good known GNX chip in the car before you do anything else. Get a GNX chip in the computer and adjust the act rod to 14-15 psi and that may take car of most of the problem. Turbo Regals including the GNX would run 200 to 210 with the stock coolant thermostat.

Pete

I also put on a brand new GM regular turbo.

If you are not running a GNX turbo ....it will not run as good as the other GNX you have....I would not getting a GNX chip I would put in a TT chip instead....it will run a lot better...

First....do not use the octane booster....it is a waste of money.

Do you have a scanntool on the car? As long as you have scantool turn up the boost keeping an eye on 02's.

I should clarify, when I stated "all stock parts" I meant that it was rebuilt to stock factory specs. The shop used a complete rebuild kit. The engine was not bored. I notice now that my check engine light is on, which never used to happen. I think I have to find a good chip to use, as the original X chip was lost:mad: I am using a NOS chip that was in a box, but do not know anything about it. Any thoughts..

if you can't find help that is experienced, lack good diagnostic tools and just can't make sense of whats happening here is some good advice---------put stock injectors back in, set the fuel pressure to 43 and put a stock GN chip in the car--------get it running with that simple combo and go from there---------RC