Shifter cable needed. Anyone use Gbody parts one?

Used the CL-SBC-14 kit from melling
Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good. Was the cam break-in done per "the book"? From 2000 miles away in an online video, it sounds mechanical.

What's the hot oil pressure?

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good. Was the cam break-in done per "the book"? From 2000 miles away in an online video, it sounds mechanical.

What's the hot oil pressure?
Hot oil pressure is 25-28 psi. Cold is 80, cruising is 45-50. I did the cam break in like I’ve seen on here. Ran at 2000-2300 for 20 mins then change the oil. Driving and will change oil again after I’ve reached the 250 mile mark. Sounds like it could also possibly be a flex plate or torque converter noise... I’ve used a mechanics stethoscope and listened all over the engine and trans. I can’t hear any sudden noise or it pronounce itself anywhere.. probably shouldn’t have but I took the pcv out and put it onto the metal valley pan and couldn’t hear and loud knocking or clicking. Just really loud under the car. Goes away under acceleration and cruising above 2000 rpm

Last edited:
But, as it warms up and gets to temp, there is a ticking sound that starts.
A flex plate would likely tick all the time. Warm the car up, and unbolt the converter and push it back into the trans. That will tell you if it's the converter. Did you measure pushrod length?

A flex plate would likely tick all the time. Warm the car up, and unbolt the converter and push it back into the trans. That will tell you if it's the converter. Did you measure pushrod length?
Yes, and I put them back in the same lifter it came off. Also measured the lifters and they were the same as the originals

Yes, and I put them back in the same lifter it came off. Also measured the lifters and they were the same as the originals
What lifter preload target and what's the actual?

Last edited:
What lifter preload target and what's the actual?
I was told it’s a drop in kit... I’ve never built and engine before.. just put it together. it preloaded probably a 1/4 - 3/8 inch but I honestly have no clue...

I was told it’s a drop in kit... I’ve never built and engine before.. just put it together. it preloaded probably a 1/4 - 3/8 inch but I honestly have no clue...
Understand. We all started somewhere.

I would revisit the lifter preload and VERIFY its' correct, regardless of any other findings. YouTube will be your friend.

Understand. We all started somewhere.

I would revisit the lifter preload and VERIFY its' correct, regardless of any other findings. YouTube will be your friend.
If you are talking lash, all the rockers have about .025-.030 lash between the valve stem and the rocker tip.

If you have a cracked header, when it warms up the crack will open some. You can make a smoke tester and smoke the exhaust while it's hot. If you see smoke coming out of the headers you found a leak.

If you are talking lash, all the rockers have about .025-.030 lash between the valve stem and the rocker tip.
Hydraulic lifters should not have lash. Lash is air gap. They should have preload which is the opposite of air gap. With a cylinder at tdc compression the pushrods should be snug, no clearance. If they jingle that's the noise. Could be only one doing it. T
Should not have air gap. Lash is air gap. Preload is the opposite of lash.

I rolled the motor over, and they all have load and don't wiggle around easily. also retorqued the rocker shafts

Here’s a video of a cold start, than after about 5 mins you can hear it very clearly under that car. In the engine bay, you can’t hear a thing. I might try dropping the cross over and try cleaning the mating surfaces up and tighten the headers down again. As you can see it really does run quite well.