Bonneville engine

Gentry1

Hi,
I'm new to the Buick engine but we're building one for a Bonneville car in a class that requires a carburetor. Rules won't permit the Stage version so we're running a 109 block. Seems steel main caps and a main girdle are a good idea.
Since bottom end power is not important can anyone recommend a turbo? Solid roller camshaft? Front-mount intercooler?
Anyone have any experience with the Chinese ebay headers and intercoolers? I'd be able to run a water/air IC.
What is the typical boot pressure for a 10.0-11.0 drag car, 20-25lbs?
Can you recommend a good engine builder who's familiar with these engines?
Thanks,
Gentry

-Steel cap OR a girdle, usually don't need both.
-Turbo, cam, heads, and IC will be somewhat matched, so would need to know operating range/RPM of engine.
-Search on here about ebay headers, LOTS of posts about them in one long thread.
-Builder somewhat depends on where you are located.

260ci limit on engine. Rpm - I don't really know what the engine will take - 5500 for prolonged periods of time? Plan to run steel crank, aftermarket rods, good pistons (as light as possible) - maybe JE? Thought I'd run a stroker 3.625 crank = .030" is what, 251ci?

Took an almost stock GN to Bonneville and went 133 mph.What a blast:DThese little cars are just amazing:wink:I have a CD full of pics.Enjoy the build.We are looking at going back in 2 years and try a 200mph run.:DIt will not be in the GN,starting to look at combo's:rolleyes:Best of luck

Kevin

Where are you from.Lots of good v6 builders.Nick Micale comes to mind on the west coast:biggrin:

Kevin

I'm on the east coast, in Virginia. I'm surprised the stock GN only went 133 at Bville, was it the altitude/temp? Was it the gearing? Those cars won't run top speed in OD will they?

I'm on the east coast, in Virginia. I'm surprised the stock GN only went 133 at Bville, was it the altitude/temp? Was it the gearing? Those cars won't run top speed in OD will they?

If by that you mean the tranny wont stay in OD at WOT, yes it will. The 200 4R is different than chevy's 700 R4 (which will not stay in OD at WOT).

As for building such a motor, if it's done well, it should easilly be able to handle sustained 6500+ rpm runs.
As far as girdle and/or steel caps, IMHO, I would do both on an engine designed to do what you are looking for
Steel crank, good rods, light pistons,
REAL good set of TA heads, massaged for even more flow.
A well designed sheet metal intake(if they'll let you use one).

The 109 blocks are good, but for an all out assault on a speed record, I'd want every advantage I could get to get it to stay together. That's why I'd build it with both steel caps and a girdle.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about putting a lightweight piston in this engine. IMO, lightweight parts and turbos don't go together well. Usually the turbo wins... Put a big enough turbo on the car and you will never notice the difference in the piston weight, but you will notice it if you don't have enough mass in those slugs to fight off a few hints of detonation during an extended top speed run:wink:

BTW, get those slugs fully coated, too.

RPE is highly recomended by all the fast east coast guys:

RPE (Race Proven Engines)
23 Newfield Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-3925
(860) 953-1342

We were pretty happy 130.88 off the trailer.:pFull weight stock GN.Stock turbo,injectors,tranny,gears.:eek:few bolt ons,Adj reg and hotwire,TT chip.:biggrin:Their were 09 corvettes with their lap tops only going 126 and 128.They asked how we did it,:rolleyes:.Just a little v6 in a big brick;)

Kevin