Body to frame alignment

TireFryer

The New Kid
How easy is it to properly align the body on the frame? I think when I did body mounts last year I didn't get the body quite square. The bumpers have way too much gap and i cant get them square to the body. I was poking around yesterday and the rearmost mounts by the fuel tank aren't fully seated and are crooked. Do I have to pry the rear frame apart somehow to get everything to settle? I used a crap ton of grease on the threads so all the mount bolts will come right out. What's the best way to align the body? I also did the front most mounts down under the battery/core support. Any help is appreciated

If you lubricated the body bolt threads with grease as opposed to anti-seize or Blue LocTite, they're going to back out on you, and then the body's going to move around.

The way to align the body is to find the frame diagram and make sure the frame itself is still square, then you loosen all of the body bolts and with the car in the air but with the suspension loaded, you measure the lower pinch weld line under the doors' distance from center and make sure the body is centered over the frame.

If it's not, you use ratchet straps and prybars and maybe a jack or two to shift the body until it is, then torque the body bolts down.

I pulled one out and it’s got anti seize on it. I must’ve been thinking of some other project I did.. is this procedure something that can be done on a garage floor? Or do I need to find a lift?

I pulled one out and it’s got anti seize on it. I must’ve been thinking of some other project I did.. is this procedure something that can be done on a garage floor? Or do I need to find a lift?
Suspension needs to be loaded, you may need to get/make some wheel cribs to do it
1682969663769.png
1682969700240.png

Okay, that’s why it’s not right. I did it with the frame on jackstands before. I’ll build those stands for the wheels and try again.

Hey Chuck, what manual or book did you find this diagram in? I have a shop that I trust to do body work and if I provided this diagram with a procedure, I am sure they could fix the issue with my 86 GN. The space between to driver's side door and front quarter panel is pretty bad.

Thanks.

Chuck if you can site the source of this diagram I that would still be nice, but after a second look at the diagram I think the procedure is self explanatory.

Chuck if you can site the source of this diagram I that would still be nice, but after a second look at the diagram I think the procedure is self explanatory.

You can right click on the diagram, a menu will come up, click on 'save image as' to save diagram to your hard drive. Instructions are for a computer. Not familiar with phones.

You can right click on the diagram, a menu will come up, click on 'save image as' to save diagram to your hard drive. Instructions are for a computer. Not familiar with phones.
Thanks. I have saved the diagram already, I was hoping Chuck was able to site the reference for other reasons. If I have my body shop replace my body bushings, I may have them check and put the chassis back in alignment if needed. The diagram should be all they would need, but they may want a reference manual. They are very particular of what they will and will not on when it comes to my GN. They do not want to be responsible for damaging anything.

Sorry. No can do.
I D/L'd that in Jan 2018, from my "E" drive...A thumbstick.
I must have run across it while on the old laptop and copied it over.

Thanks. I have saved the diagram already, I was hoping Chuck was able to site the reference for other reasons. If I have my body shop replace my body bushings, I may have them check and put the chassis back in alignment if needed. The diagram should be all they would need, but they may want a reference manual. They are very particular of what they will and will not on when it comes to my GN. They do not want to be responsible for damaging anything.

Here is the rest of the picture - a Malibu frame. I believe 78-87 Malibu's were G-bodys. The bottom left of picture says it is from "1983 KLM Automotive Publishing Inc." perhaps looking there may lead you to a Malibu or Regal manual. Good Luck!

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

Longball

Here is the rest of the picture - a Malibu frame. I believe 78-87 Malibu's were G-bodys. The bottom left of picture says it is from "1983 KLM Automotive Publishing Inc." perhaps looking there may lead you to a Malibu or Regal manual. Good Luck!

View attachment 395835

Longball
I can't thank you enough. My issue is the gap between the DS door and DS fender or quater panel. PS the gap is maybe 3/8" or less, but the DS gap is more than 1/2" to 3/4". I am not sure aligning the chassis will due the trick, but it is worth a try.

Hey Chuck, what manual or book did you find this diagram in? I have a shop that I trust to do body work and if I provided this diagram with a procedure, I am sure they could fix the issue with my 86 GN. The space between to driver's side door and front quarter panel is pretty bad.

Thanks.
The diagram comes from a collision repair manual, which is a very different publication than the shop manual, and typically aren't easy to get unless you subscribe to a collision repair information service.

The diagram comes from a collision repair manual, which is a very different publication than the shop manual, and typically aren't easy to get unless you subscribe to a collision repair information service.
Thankfully you have a copy and are willing to share!