Body side molding: Riveted or stick-on?

Coelacanth

This just popped up in another topic and it's something I'd be interested to know, too. I personally think cars look cleaner and better without those rubber side moldings on the door and fenders breaking up the smoothness. I'd take mine off in an instant if I could be sure they were just stuck on with double-sided tape instead of riveted on or popped on with body clips. Is there any way to tell without getting overly medieval?

This just popped up in another topic and it's something I'd be interested to know, too. I personally think cars look cleaner and better without those rubber side moldings on the door and fenders breaking up the smoothness. I'd take mine off in an instant if I could be sure they were just stuck on with double-sided tape instead of riveted on or popped on with body clips. Is there any way to tell without getting overly medieval?

Double sided tape....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't remove them unless you are going to repaint. Over time the adhesive from the moldings has eaten into the paint and will leave a distinct line in the paint. Ask me how I know!:cautious:

I agree with the adhesive remark 100%. You can do some major sanding and can still tell where it was.

Double sided tape....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From the other thread it seems the factory installed body side moldings were installed with double sided tape and the dealer installed body side moldings were pop rivited on.

Without taking the door panels off and looking in from behind it's difficult to tell which is which.

I'm sure the dealers knew the holes they drilled would rust out and probably thought the cars would be replaced sooner than later and never imagined they would still be kick'n tail and taking names 30yrs later.

They do their job when you park near the entrance at Walmart. o_O

B88 is the code for the factory stuck on ones.

the rivet ones are aluminum formed ends with an aluminum channel between the ends . the ends were slid into the channel (which had double stick tape on it ) and then after stuck onto car then they drilled one hole per end cap and channel and popped in a rivet ... then a plastic moulding was sqaure cut to length and snapped into the channel
the rivet style used to be available through jcwhitneys not sure if its still available
the factory was a simple black double stick moulding with the ends cut to shape

I have never seen riveted side moulding on a GN. I only saw it on a gray limited with opera lights.