Body Mount Bushings

jskarateka

Anybody have a referral to an individual or a shop with experience in replacing G-Body bushings, to replace the body mount bushings on my 87GN. I'm located in Villa Park IL.

Last spring I pulled my engine and had it rebuilt by Rick (TurboBuRick). Since I dropped it back in, it has become quite apparent that I need suspension upgrades. I do much of my own work but I don't feel confident with this one. My car was/is rusty when I had the body done and I know at least a couple of them are going to break, and I don't weld or have a lift.

Thanks.

-Jim

Any body shop would be capable. It's not a high skill job, you just need the tools to do the repairs if any of the bolts break or the frame and body mount interfaces are rusted out.

Any body shop would be capable. It's not a high skill job, you just need the tools to do the repairs if any of the bolts break or the frame and body mount interfaces are rusted out.

Yeah I know many can/would, but I'm admittedly a little paranoid. When I needed the engine rebuilt I read so many horror stories I figured I'd wait for a referral and for that person to be available, and it definitely paid off. I figured I'd do the same for this since I know the job probably won't go smooth. One member I PM'd told me to try Custom Classics Autobody in Island Lake. That's one place I'm going to call.

I did a couple cars down here in Houston last year for labor 250$ but it's a pain on the ground. next ones 300$ lol. Good luck, you'll find someone.

I had mine done by a neighborhood mechanic / body man with his own shop with a lift and LOTS of appropriate tools. Kid ( heck, he's 34 lol ) had a very good reputation and a lot of common sense. Watched him do it and it was pretty much of a no brainier with the caveat one takes their time doing it. Only had to raise the body off the frame a little. FWIW

Doing the body bushing is not that hard until like someone mentioned above if one of those crappy things inside that is barley spot welded to the body which will break from the spot weld and spin. If that happens, sometimes you need to pull the interior again it depends where it is. Then you have to cut the floor open and repair the rust and weld the piece back in place. Then reweld the cut floor back in. Some people do it one or few at a time by separating the body off the frame about 4”. It can be done if you are in a jam but I don't recommend it. Let me make few calls and see who is willing and how much it will be...again if they need to cut the floor and repair stuff then all bets are off. The key is; check every bolt and see if they come out .. break them loose one at a time and snug them back gently. This will give you an idea. I have done maybe 10 jobs like this. Two of them kicked my ass!

HTH
Prasad

Doing the body bushing is not that hard until like someone mentioned above if one of those crappy things inside that is barley spot welded to the body which will break from the spot weld and spin. If that happens, sometimes you need to pull the interior again it depends where it is. Then you have to cut the floor open and repair the rust and weld the piece back in place. Then reweld the cut floor back in. Some people do it one or few at a time by separating the body off the frame about 4”. It can be done if you are in a jam but I don't recommend it. Let me make few calls and see who is willing and how much it will be...again if they need to cut the floor and repair stuff then all bets are off. The key is; check every bolt and see if they come out .. break them loose one at a time and snug them back gently. This will give you an idea. I have done maybe 10 jobs like this. Two of them kicked my ass!

HTH
Prasad

Thank you wikedv6!

My plan was/is to:

1) Purchase new floor pans and body mount bushings.
2) Pull the seats, carpet, and console and just bolt the driver seat back in.
3) Bring the car to whomever was going to do the job and let them weld in new floor pans (or portions of them) and install the bushings.

I was happy with the job that the body shop I used did with the body work and paint for the price. It was a budget frame-on job. Not a show car but it turned out decent and has lasted. The floor pans have some holes rusted through but I just grinded off the loose stuff, popped riveted in some sheet metal, and painted the inside and outside of the floor, along with the frame, with POR-15.

That same body shop said they can do the job, and have done body mount bushings before. They admitted however, that they have not done them on any G-Bodys. I may end up going with them and just printing out some bullet points for them, regarding what has to be disconnected first, etc. I would much rather give the job to someone who has done them before on these things though (unless the price is a 'knee buckler') so thanks again!

Update;

Went to measure and drill some small holes inside the trunk to start spraying them down with penetrating oil for a few days, and discovered that 2 of them are spinning lose before I even touched them. Maybe from torquing it at the track?

This is gonna hurt (my wallet).

/<end whining>