Board Upgrades - Everyone PLEASE Read and Comment

Let me say up front that I'm not complaining as I don't have a clue what all IT stuff is involved in running a bulletin board. I appreciate any and all efforts behind the scenes. As I'm sure you know, you'll never be able to please everyone - I can appreciate your frustrations with having to hear all the crap.

Just out of curiosity, Yellow Bullet has to have a ton more traffic than this site using the VBulletin platform and it seems to work pretty well. Have the problems just not hit them yet?

Their is currently 5 Buick boards,the others have very little traffic anymore.Don"t shoot me for this but what about combining 2.Espcially Turboregal,lots of great tech and archives.I believe in the future as these cars get older their will just be fewer either way.Thanks for all the work,great place to hang out:biggrin:

Kevin

Their is currently 5 Buick boards,the others have very little traffic anymore.Don"t shoot me for this but what about combining 2.Espcially Turboregal,lots of great tech and archives.I believe in the future as these cars get older their will just be fewer either way.Thanks for all the work,great place to hang out:biggrin:

Kevin

I tried this a long time ago and no one was interested. Vertical Scope bought TBS for a ridiculous amount of money. Props to Savino for giving it to them without lube.

GNTType wasnt interested. We tried to do something with Scott a long time ago.

Honestly, and I dont want to come off like a d-bag but Im sure I will.. if those other 4 boards fell off the planet, very few would miss them. If this site went offline, it would be a serious blow to the TR community both online and offline. This IS the definitive source. GNTType was but when things shifted to a forum platform, they got left behind.

Let me say up front that I'm not complaining as I don't have a clue what all IT stuff is involved in running a bulletin board. I appreciate any and all efforts behind the scenes. As I'm sure you know, you'll never be able to please everyone - I can appreciate your frustrations with having to hear all the crap.

Just out of curiosity, Yellow Bullet has to have a ton more traffic than this site using the VBulletin platform and it seems to work pretty well. Have the problems just not hit them yet?

I honestly have no idea what infrastructure YB has but they have to have someone hosting them for very little/free. A site that size needs at least one slave server. If we did TurboBuick the way I would like to do it, it would run us about $1200 a month to keep the doors open. We just cant do that. Maybe YB makes enough money off t-shirts that he can do that, I dont know.

Theyre either running the forum on the buddy deal.. a lot of people do, or they have some other form of revenue that Im not seeing. I suspect its the former and not the latter.

Ive tried to communicate with the owner of YB before but I guess he's too much of a rock star for us lowly people. I specifically wanted to talk to him about hosting, etc. This was about a year ago and I havent been to that site since.

I tried this a long time ago and no one was interested. Vertical Scope bought TBS for a ridiculous amount of money. Props to Savino for giving it to them without lube.

GNTType wasnt interested. We tried to do something with Scott a long time ago.

Honestly, and I dont want to come off like a d-bag but Im sure I will.. if those other 4 boards fell off the planet, very few would miss them. If this site went offline, it would be a serious blow to the TR community both online and offline. This IS the definitive source. GNTType was but when things shifted to a forum platform, they got left behind.

Thanks Jay just a thought.Just make sure the lights stay on:wink:my wife will be ticked if I am not on here and bugging her:biggrin:

Kevin

You, a dirt bag? Never Jay.:rolleyes: LOL Mike had and still has a chip on his shoulder because of Buicks. TBS has some great tech articles on as well as GN/Ttype and we don't them have here. The fact that TBs has been taken over by people that don't have a clue is just sad, to say the least.

If you want pic guides or basic tech info there are several good places to get them, but if you want to be abused and harrased, have a good time, and still get good info, this is the site to be on.:biggrin:

I'm sure I'll get in trouble for that but the truth is the truth after all.:eek:

Jay, at this point in life I am finding myself very adaptable to change. :cool: It's like I finally stopped fighting it and am just "going with the flow" now. Whatever avenue you take, best of luck, I'll still be coming here bugging everyone! :biggrin:

Jay, at this point in life I am finding myself very adaptable to change. :cool: It's like I finally stopped fighting it and am just "going with the flow" now. Whatever avenue you take, best of luck, I'll still be coming here bugging everyone! :biggrin:

Damn Russ you will be selling out in EP and moving to Boulder with an attitude like that :D

I really liked the set-up of the T-bucket forum posted. The letters are nice, big, and readable. It look pretty attractive too. I say go for it. I will pretty much put money down that we will lose maybe 5 people because of the change. And even then, they WILL be back. This is the best site on the internet for TurboBuicks and no one can say otherwise. This board is more than a community, it is a family.

Usually takes me about 5 minutes to read about what has changed (as you keep us well informed), I follow instruction, adapt and move along. I have not ever had anything to complain about in my tenure here. I loved it then, I love it now.

Plus, I can always roam over to T6P and read about Ty's farm animal reproduction efforts. (he also keeps us well informed - we can do without those pictures though)

I can adapt to whatever is next, as long as the cars we talk about don't change.

Plug along.

Jay,
First off. Thanks for taking the time to explain the delemma at hand. I appreciate all the work that you,ve done to make and keep this one of the most enjoyable auto sites on the net. What ever you decide to do, I will support. However, I feel that it would be a huge tragedy if pictures, videos, and links to some of the best TB history were lost. I'm sure you've pondered the magnitude of this. Hope all can be saved.:)

Mike Barnard

Kevin

I would love to be able to do something with the .org site, I have been told he has no intention of selling... I don't blame him... I tried with TBS... We already have T6P.

Hard to please everyone. We all know that. I say do it.

O and X2 what Bob said. Thanks for all your continued efforts.

RL

i hate the "social net working crap layout". I have a facebook that i use once a month or so. But what must be must be.

i too thought of YB.com and "chevelles.com

Please make sure you have the following buttons
1-New posts
2-UCP
3-Search
i rarely search or go into specific forums. i try to wear out the "New posts" button and when i have something in mind i search for it.

Good luck to you and us.
and thanks for all your efforts

EDIT
i just logged in over at the test site and its pretty cool and NOT at all complicated to use.

i started a "conversation" with TurboTnz06 and it pretty much looks like my text messages on my Blackberry. which is WAY better then 1 PM with 40 quotes on it.

BTW is a Conversation = to PM?

EDIT
i just logged in over at the test site and its pretty cool and NOT at all complicated to use.

i started a "conversation" with TurboTnz06 and i pretty much looks like my text messages on my Blackberry. which is WAY better then 1 PM with 40 quotes on it.

BTW is a Conversation = to PM?

I tried logging back in and the password edit box appears disabled as I can't type into it, so I can't respond to pm's over there. I'm running latest version of Chrome on win7 32.