Blowthrough build repeat.

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
March 2020 update:
Just got my last few pieces to install and finish.
I got the stock headers on and my fabricated down pipe is fitting although close to the crossover flange. I'm setting up my new airfilter system and installing a pre turbo inline oil filter.
This is a Turbosmart -4AN filter and ZEX -4AN lines with two Earls adapters to -4AN.
I'm about to get this all sorted out and hit the road.
 

Attachments

  • 20200312_175959.jpg
    20200312_175959.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 40

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
Temporary filter/line routing until I finalize it with the air inlet tube and filter.
Stock headers being ran for the first time ever on this machine.
 

Attachments

  • 20200312_191832.jpg
    20200312_191832.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 59
  • 20200312_191904.jpg
    20200312_191904.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 55

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
Pics to follow. I could not get the big air filter under the car like I used to run it at the moment but I do intend to get it there. It is under the hood as far over and away from the engine and low and close to fender as possible, it's a bit straighter shot to the turbo.
The stock headers are working out perfectly with the down pipe I made for the old headers where I thought I may have a clearance issue. It has a good heat cycle now and retorqued the hot parts. No gaskets on anything and no exhaust leaks.
 

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
I've retorqued the hot parts after the first heat cycle/trip out on this machine. Everything stayed tight, I do not see, hear or feel any exhaust leaks. If I could have found a good set of stock headers for a deal when I first built this I would have ran them back then instead of the Asian ATR knock offs, I never knew what I was missing.
I have rock steady boost control, the quickest spooling yet "out spooled my TE62 on a Garrett .63 housing" and a louder engine with these changes.
I'm ready for the local tracks if we can get to racing again after the virus closures.
 

Nigel

Active Member
I've retorqued the hot parts after the first heat cycle/trip out on this machine. Everything stayed tight, I do not see, hear or feel any exhaust leaks. If I could have found a good set of stock headers for a deal when I first built this I would have ran them back then instead of the Asian ATR knock offs, I never knew what I was missing.
I have rock steady boost control, the quickest spooling yet "out spooled my TE62 on a Garrett .63 housing" and a louder engine with these changes.
I'm ready for the local tracks if we can get to racing again after the virus closures.
Looking forward to test mule updates, virus be-damned.
 

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
Pending the lost data return..
In Sept 2020 this machine made a couple 10 sec passes on that 109 block. Later in 2020 I found a crack in cylinder #1 and started collecting parts again. I built a different .030 over 109 block in early 2021 to keep on testing. Then in late May I broke my ankle and wrist, while healing/dealing with my broken body I missed a slipping TV cable bracket on the Buick and now the 2004r trans needs rebuilt. I think it has been in the car for 8 years now, it wasn't quite ready to be pulled yet but that slip sped things up.
It is pulled and ready to go back to Extreme Automatics next week, I'm going to just drive there and drop it off this time.
 

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
Ready to be installed! I made a trip to Extreme Automatics on the 25th picked up the refreshed trans. I want to upgrade the breathers, I bought two 12an baffled vacuum fittings/hose to install in the TA valve covers. Pictures of those parts when they arrive.
 

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
Spent this weekend getting this machine back together and running. Weather is bad for testing this week but in the meantime I'll get these small upgrades on still waiting on two fittings.
 

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
I did a quick fit up and test of this vent system, it's going to work good after I smooth the inside casting roughness to fix a small oil leak. These came with a flat washer for the o ring to seal on but I needed the clearance and left it out on this try. I might do this same thing to the right bank valve cover but the clearance is worse as my charge pipe is directly over that port, I got a 90* 12AN for that and still might not work. I don't really have a place to add engine oil right now got to solve that. Also these 12AN push/twist on hoses/fittings are hard for me to build I can only get the hose to 2nd rib.
20220508_193130.jpg
20220508_193152.jpg
20220508_214219.jpg
 
Top